Wofford College

Wofford College
Not a member yet
    4444 research outputs found

    Rembert United Methodist Church

    No full text
    One of the earliest Methodist congregations in South Carolina was located in the community around Rembert Church, with a Methodist Society meeting as early as 1785. In its early days, it was frequently visited by Francis Asbury, the first Bishop of the Methodist Church of the United States. It was also important for the camp meetings that were held nearby, starting in 1802 and 1803. The cemetery here was established in 1800, and the present meeting house-style church was erected ca. 1835. Structurally a plain rectangular building with clapboard siding, such design affords only the essentials needed for worship. It sits on brick piers and has a gabled, metal roof. The windows are 20/20 with two smaller windows above the main ones on the front façade. The Rembert Church building served the rural Methodist congregation (with an 1850s enrollment of some 80 whites and 500 slaves) for over a century. This structure remains as an example of the small church so important to nearly every aspect of life in the rural South during the growth and development of South Carolina. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1115/thumbnail.jp

    Lewie Chapel United Methodist Church, Gilbert

    No full text
    The town of Gilbert, also known as Gilbert Hollow, was called Lewiedale from 1886 to 1899 after the family of Samuel (1802-1865) and Nancy Hendrix Lewie (1807-1865). Four of six Lewie sons saw Confederate service in the 15th S.C. Infantry, with Frederick S. (1831-1873) as its lieutenant colonel and James H. (1838-1889) as a captain. Several family members are buried here. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1117/thumbnail.jp

    Trinity United Methodist Church, Walhalla

    No full text
    Trinity was founded in the 1860s as the only worship center for African Americans in the Walhalla area. Tradition has it beginning as a brush arbor at a location known as Twin Pines. Rev. James Rosemond is credited with Trinity’s founding. It was recognized as an extension ministry of the Mount Vernon Epworth League of the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. For many years, Trinity housed the only school for African Americans in the Walhalla School District. It was the home church of Rev. Granville Hicks, a leading member of the South Carolina Annual Conference for many years and the first appointment of the late Bishop Joseph B. Bethea. Placed on the list of UMC Historic Sites in 2004. (Trinity was recently sold to a Hispanic church and is no longer an active UMC congregation.) Source: UMChttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1136/thumbnail.jp

    Spartanburg Methodist College

    No full text
    Spartanburg Methodist College was founded as Textile Industrial Institute (TII) in 1911 by Dr. David English Camak, a visionary Methodist minister. At its founding as a work-study cooperative, TII served young adults working in area textile mills by offering high school-level courses in preparation for advanced education or employment. In this first cooperative education program in the country, students worked a week and then took classes for a week. This arrangement enabled the school to provide resources for education and for life. In 1927, the first two years of college-level work were added to the curriculum to provide graduates with an associate degree in liberal arts for transfer to senior-level colleges. The continued close relationship between TII and local business and industry led to the development of associate degrees that prepared students for immediate employment. In 1940, the high school classes were dropped from the TII curriculum. In 1942, Textile Industrial Institute became Spartanburg Junior College, and for the next 25 years focused its efforts on providing associate degrees designed for transfer into a wide variety of bachelor’s degree programs. Beginning in 1965, the College began a cycle of growth during which more than three-fourths of the present campus buildings were erected or renovated, the curriculum was broadened and strengthened, student enrollment doubled, and new expertise was added through faculty growth and development. In 1974, Spartanburg Junior College became Spartanburg Methodist College. Since its founding, the College has been affiliated with the mission work of the United Methodist Church and its forebear, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The relationship between the College and the church has continued across the years through the General Board of Global Ministries and the Board of Global Ministries of the South Carolina Annual Conference. The College’s name attests to the pride the institution’s trustees, faculty, staff and student body take in working and studying at a college based on the traditional values of the church and the United States of America. Today, Spartanburg Methodist College serves a highly diverse student body from several states of the United States, as well as from several different nations of the world. The College seeks to meet the educational needs of its student body by enabling each student to meet the challenges of a technologically based future. Spartanburg Methodist College offers a variety of educational programs to meet the needs of the traditional college student and of the non-traditional working adult. Sources: SCDAH; Spartanburg Methodist College web site (http://smcsc.edu), Wikipediahttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1162/thumbnail.jp

    Grace United Methodist Church, Union

    No full text
    Grace United Methodist Church is a large stone Gothic-Revival church building with a two-story educational building and a cemetery. The church was initially constructed in 1872, with James Grant as builder and Col. John L. Young as architect-engineer. Photographs depict this early building as a symmetrical stone church with a central entrance tower and a flanking bell tower on the northwest corner of the nave. The church was substantially enlarged in 1917-1919; Casey & Fant of Anderson, S.C., served as architects and J.M. Crawford as contractor for this enlargement that gave the building its present shape. Grace has a steep gabled rood and a buttressed nave. A low narthex on the west elevation replaces the original entrance tower; a large tracer window rises above the narthex. The tower on the northwest corner of the façade retains its original lower stage; the upper stage was built in 1917-1919, replacing the original spire. The two-story stone educational building on the south side of the church has windows grouped under stone label-molds, and stone coping matching that of the church building. The church cemetery is located to the north of the building. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1171/thumbnail.jp

    Cooper\u27s Academy, Cades

    No full text
    Cooper’s Academy, built in 1905-06, was a private boarding school for the black children of this community until 1927, and a public school from 1927 to 1958. Founded by Moses Cooper, H.J. Cooper, and Ada E. Martin, it was first called Cooper’s Academy, Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Youth. The school closed in 1958 when black schools at Battery Park and Cades were consolidated.https://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1173/thumbnail.jp

    The Fierce Green Fire: Vol 5 Issue 4

    Get PDF

    The Fierce Green Fire: Vol 5 Issue 7

    Get PDF

    The Fierce Green Fire: Vol. 4 Issue 16

    Get PDF

    Improving Language Skills and Creating Global Citizens

    Get PDF
    The focus of this project is to improve oral and written proficiency and enhance cultural awareness of students enrolled in Spanish III Honors. Students will improve and learn effectively through weekly exercises that focus on critical thinking, synthesizing in Spanish and working collaboratively. Emphasis will be placed on reciprocal teaching and cooperative learning. We plan for the students to each choose a Spanish speaking country that they will research based on monthly topics, and then share the information found with their classmates. Students will be assessed at the beginning of the project in October and again in March through taped interviews and written tests

    3,351

    full texts

    4,444

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Wofford College
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇