Wofford College

Wofford College
Not a member yet
    4444 research outputs found

    Daily Announcements May 2014

    Get PDF

    Wofford Today Winter 2014

    Get PDF

    Mizpah United Methodist Church, Olar

    No full text
    Constructed in 1856 in the village of Buford’s Bridge, Mizpah United Methodist Church is the only extant building from the old Barnwell District town that flourished in the 19th century but had all but disappeared by the early 20th century. The braced-frame, sheathed-in-weatherboard church is an extraordinary surviving example of the vernacular meeting house form, typical of many rural South Carolina churches, but with the added sophistication of both Greek Revival and Gothic Revival elements. The historic cemetery surrounding the church contains gravestones and iron Maltese cross markers for a number of Confederate veterans, as well as those for many of the church’s early families. In fact, some of the gravestones are signed by their cutters. According to local tradition, Mizpah United Methodist Church was the only residence or institution in the Buford’s Bridge community that was not burned or otherwise destroyed by Federal troops during their stay during the closing days of the Civil War. Mizpah Church is significant as a tangible reminder of one of Bamberg County’s earliest and continuously functioning Methodist congregations. Source: NRHP, SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1018/thumbnail.jp

    Centenary United Methodist Church, Charleston

    No full text
    Centenary United Methodist Church was built in 1842 and was originally the home of the Second Baptist Church. In 1866, the African-American members of Trinity Methodist Church left that church and purchased this building from the Baptists for $20,000 in gold. The Centenary congregation included many members of Charleston’s wealthiest African Americans, including the Weston, Wilson, Johnson, Mills, Brown, Sasportas, Hampton, McKinlay, Ransier, Holloway, Ryan, and Wigfall families. In the 20th century, Septima Poinsett Clark, prominent African-American educator and leader in the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), was a member of Centenary United Methodist Church. She later directed citizenship schools for Dr. Martin Luther King’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The church is included in the Charleston Historic District. Source: UMC, NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1032/thumbnail.jp

    Lewis Timothy Print Shop, Charleston

    No full text
    In 1734, Benjamin Franklin sent his new partner, Lewis Timothy, to Charleston to publish The South Carolina Gazette. Two other associates Dr. Franklin sent to Charleston had died in succession. In the fall of 1736 and spring of 1737, John Wesley, the founder of world Methodism, then a young Anglican clergyman serving at Savannah, visited Timothy very near this site to complete publication of A Collection of Psalms and Hymns, the first hymnal of the Methodist movement. Source: Site marker; Placed on the UMC list of Historic Sites in 2004https://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1035/thumbnail.jp

    Green Pond United Methodist Church, Smoaks

    No full text
    Bishop Francis Asbury, Bishop William McKendree and Rev. Henry Boehm spoke here on December 14, 1808. A camp meeting was held here in June 1820 from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. There were 125 carriages of all kinds, 50 tents containing 800 persons, 1500 hearers on the Sabbath and 14 preachers. “We received sensible displays of the influence of divine grace…about thirty professed to have received a saving change…there appeared no occasion for one reproof.” Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1050/thumbnail.jp

    Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, Mars Bluff

    No full text
    Founded in 1868 with Rev. James Wesley Johnson as its first minister, Mt. Zion held its early services in a brush arbor. In 1870, trustees purchased a 1 ¾-acre tract to build a “Negro Schoolhouse” sponsored by the church, the first in the Mars Bluff community. This sanctuary, originally a frame building, was built in 1875 on a tract purchased from the school. The sanctuary was extensively remodeled and covered in brick veneer in 1970. The nearby cemetery, established in 1876, includes the graves of such early church leaders as Anthony H. Howard (1840-1908), a former slave who served in the S.C. House of Representatives during Reconstruction. Howard was also one of several black farmers who grew rice here after the Civil War. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1084/thumbnail.jp

    Sampit United Methodist Church, Georgetown

    No full text
    Formally organized in 1839, Sampit had its origins in a slave mission begun in 1786 on Gov. Thomas Boone’s plantation, 3 miles southeast of the church’s current location. Rev. P.A.M. Williams became its first minister in 1840. The first church, a frame building built the same year, stood 1.5 miles south. The present sanctuary was built on a 5-acre plot donated to the church in 1887 by Benjamin D. Bourne, a member and trustee.https://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1090/thumbnail.jp

    First United Methodist Church, Laurens

    No full text
    Built around 1897, this 1 ½-story Romanesque red-brick building has a complex roof line with cross-gables. The four-story tower on the east has stained-glass windows and a tall pyramidal roof surrounded with pinwales. It has a large stained-glass window in the center of the façade and a small tower on the west with semi-circular windows under brick arches. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1112/thumbnail.jp

    The Fierce Green Fire: Vol. 4 Issue 18

    Get PDF

    3,351

    full texts

    4,444

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Wofford College
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇