4444 research outputs found
Sort by
Pinopolis United Methodist Church
Pinopolis Historic District South, which contains 13 properties, consists of the historic core of the planters’ retreat community of Pinopolis. The district contains numerous early- to mid-19th century summer houses, the Gothic Revival-influenced Pinopolis United Methodist Church (ca. 1900), and other later 19th century buildings. Interest in building a Methodist church in Pinopolis, according to local historians, was present as early as 1887. The site of the current church was purchased from the estate of William Cain in 1897 for 500 needed to construct the building with the requirement that the timber be of long leaf pine. It is a single-story, frame building sheathed in weatherboard with a steep gabled roof and a small open belfry. The façade is three bays, with a lancet arch encompassing the central double doors and single round-headed windows flanking. The church rests upon a brick pier foundation, which has been in filled with brick. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1025/thumbnail.jp
First United Methodist Church, Cheraw
Around 1736, Welsh Baptists came to South Carolina and settled in the Pee Dee region. Some sources date Welsh settlement in the Cheraw area as about 1752. In 1766, Eli Kershaw, who had been given a grant of land along the Pee Dee River, laid out the town of Cheraw. It was incorporated in 1820. Included as part of the historic district, First Methodist is a white frame meeting house in colonial style with four unfluted Doric columns supporting a portico. Source, NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1040/thumbnail.jp
Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church, Chesterfield
Mt. Tabor is a small frame meeting house church built around 1878 by freedmen. The building features an off-center staged tower on its façade with a tall pyramidal tower roof capped by a metal finial. The original bell has been removed from the belfry but remains on the church grounds. The church is sheathed in weatherboard and has a gable roof covered with composition shingles. Mt. Tabor is included in the West Main Street Historic District. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1043/thumbnail.jp
John Wesley United Methodist Church, Greenville
Built between 1899 and 1903, the church is a two-story structure of brick laid in standard bond, a vernacular version of the Gothic Revival-style of church architecture. The style is characterized here by irregular massing; regular fenestration with emphasis on pointed arch windows with tracery, pinnacles and other decorative motifs on accent points (such as the tower), gables and steeply sloping roofs; large major interior space with emphasized height, beaded ceilings and wainscoting; wooden floors; and stained-glass ornamentation. After the Civil War, the Methodist Episcopal Church sent preachers and teachers to work among freedmen in the South. At a meeting in Charleston, it was decided to establish a congregation in Greenville, and in 1866 John Wesley’s congregation was organized by Rev. J.R. Rosemond, who is credited with organizing more than 50 Methodist Episcopal Churches in upstate South Carolina, under the name of Silver Hill Methodist Episcopal Church. Initially, the congregation met in a building owned by a white congregation, but after voting to affiliate with the Methodist Episcopal Church, North, rather than the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the congregation acquired a log building on Ann Street. Alexander McBee subsequently donated a lot at Choice and Cleveland Streets, where a structure was built and occupied by the congregation until 1900. The foundations of the present structure, at East Court and Falls Streets, were laid in 1899 and the sanctuary was dedicated in 1903. Source: NRHP; UMChttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1092/thumbnail.jp
McBee United Methodist Church, Greenville
Architecturally unique, McBee Methodist Church was designed ca. 1842 by John Adams, a local wheelwright who felt that more seating space could be secured by an octagonal arrangement. The little structure is a fine example of octagonal architecture in vogue in the United States from the 1840s to 1860s, its prime advantage being that it encloses one-fifth more floor area than a square with the same total length of wall. In addition, octagonal design offered a new aesthetic dimension to American architecture at this time. The eight-sided brick structure has a pyramidal asphalt-shingle roof topped by an octagonal louvered cupola. It also features a molded brick cornice and a whitewashed base. The small stained-glass panes surrounding larger panes of clear glass were added at a later date. The balcony, formerly used by slaves prior to the Civil War, was later removed and its door converted to another window. The church has a seating capacity of 150. The church was named for Vardry McBee, the “Father of Greenville,” who provided funds for the little church. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1095/thumbnail.jp
Salley United Methodist Church
Possibly as early as 1735, British colonials arrived in the area upon which the town of Salley developed. The present-day town formed during the decade of the 1880s on a 1,000-acre plantation located two miles southeast of John Town. D.H. Salley, the plantation’s owner and a member of the South Carolina General Assembly, had become aware of plans for railroad transportation of kaolin from a mine in nearby Sievern. He laid out a plan of streets and avenues, and also established the first school in the area on his property. He successfully negotiated the train’s path through his land and later secured incorporation papers for the community of Salley. Listed on the NRHP as part of the Salley Historic District, Salley Methodist is a T-shaped building with a front gable roof of diamond asphalt shingles. Gable vents are present and the roof line features a boxed cornice with return. There is one external capped chimney. Also featured is a one-story entry portal with a rounded arch with stone imposts and keystones. The porch only covers the doorway and like the roof is gabled with a boxed cornice and return. The double-leaf door at the entry has four lights on each door and a five-light transom above it. A rear double-door entry features the same type of doors covered by a shed roof. The double-sash windows feature a nine-over-nine light configuration and are of yellow stained glass. Windows in the transom and at the rear are six-over-six double sash. Each window has brick sills and lintels. The church also features soldier-course bricks just above the vented brick foundation. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1006/thumbnail.jp
St. Paul United Methodist Church, Easley
This church, founded in 1803, held its first services in the home of John Wilson and was first known as Wilson’s Chapel. That year, the congregation bought two acres here from George Head; the first church on this site was built in 1810. St. Paul’s early ministers were circuit riders, as it was part of the Saluda District until it joined the Pendleton District in 1871. The second church, a frame cruciform building, was built here in 1897; it served St. Paul’s until it was torn down in 1982. The present brick sanctuary, built in 1984, includes several architectural elements from the 1897 church. The cemetery, with graves as early as 1842, includes the plots of many early families as well as graves of veterans of seven American wars and conflicts. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1013/thumbnail.jp
St. John United Methodist Church, Anderson
In 1828, Anderson Court House Village was established. In that same year, a group of Methodist men and women organized a church, and two years later built the first church of any kind in the village. It was built on a half-acre lot on what is now the corner of West Benson and South Murray Avenue in Anderson. The church was a small, rough log structure without windows or means of lighting or heating, built as a labor of love by one of the members, Hoyt Whittaker, Anderson’s first carpenter. It remained on the original site for 28 years. The present site on the corner of South McDuffie and East River Streets was purchased sometime later, and in 1858 a simple white frame building was erected as the second church, which served until 1888. The first bricks were laid October 5, 1886, and a brick building was erected as the third church, which was dedicated November 11, 1888. In 1897, the name St. John’s was adopted. During 1928, St. John’s celebrated its 100th anniversary. The opening of the new educational building took place that year. The fourth Church sanctuary constructed with brick walls was completed in 1912. Source: St. John’s web site (www.stjohnsanderson.com/index.htm); SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1017/thumbnail.jp
Trinity United Methodist Church, Bamberg
The Bamberg Historic District is a significant collection of around 56 contributing buildings from the period 1880-1930. Most of the buildings are residences or bungalows with prominent porches and profuse carpenter’s ornamentation; a few of the largest and most notable buildings express the more fashionable architectural styles of the era, including Second Empire, Neo-Classical, Queen Anne, Victorian, Romanesque Revival and Gothic Revival. The district also includes a cemetery dating from 1852. The buildings are set on landscaped lots with tall trees. Trinity was designed by Edwards & Walter of Columbia and built in 1904-1905 by J.A. Benson. The building has a hip-roofed main block with projecting gabled wings on the north and east. A tall brick tower, with the entrances to the church at its first floor, is situated between these wings. The entrances are marked by gabled porches with paired Tuscan columns. Each side of the tower features three tall arched windows. The tower has a pyramidal roof with very wide packed eaves that are broken by hipped wall dormers. The north elevation of the building features a traceried Gothic window in its projecting wing and an entrance to the right of this wing with an elliptical-roofed porch. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1022/thumbnail.jp
Mizpah United Methodist Church, Olar
Constructed in 1856 in the village of Buford’s Bridge, Mizpah United Methodist Church is the only extant building from the old Barnwell District town that flourished in the 19th century but had all but disappeared by the early 20th century. The braced-frame, sheathed-in-weatherboard church is an extraordinary surviving example of the vernacular meeting house form, typical of many rural South Carolina churches, but with the added sophistication of both Greek Revival and Gothic Revival elements. The historic cemetery surrounding the church contains gravestones and iron Maltese cross markers for a number of Confederate veterans, as well as those for many of the church’s early families. In fact, some of the gravestones are signed by their cutters. According to local tradition, Mizpah United Methodist Church was the only residence or institution in the Buford’s Bridge community that was not burned or otherwise destroyed by Federal troops during their stay during the closing days of the Civil War. Mizpah Church is significant as a tangible reminder of one of Bamberg County’s earliest and continuously functioning Methodist congregations. Source: NRHP, SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1019/thumbnail.jp