Wofford College

Wofford College
Not a member yet
    4444 research outputs found

    Appleby United Methodist Church, St. George

    No full text
    Appleby Church is presumably named for James Preston Appleby, who donated four acres of land for the church site. The building is an excellent example of the Greek Revival, meeting house-style of church architecture. It is a one-story wooden structure built upon low brick piers. It was probably built ca. 1840-1850 and is virtually original. The front façade features two double doors, each having two panels. Three low brick steps lead to the entrance. The side façade s each have four evenly spaced 9/9 windows; the rear façade is identical to the front, with the exception of having only one double door. The building is clapboard, and the medium gable roof is presently covered with asphalt shingles. The cornice is boxed. On the church’s interior, two rows of pews, thought to be original, are divided by a central aisle. During the state’s Tricentennial celebration in 1970, signs were placed along the walls indicating that which is believed to have been the original seating arrangement in Appleby Methodist Church. The northern area was designated for “gentlemen,” the southern area for “ladies and courting couples,” and the northwest area was an “Amen Corner.” Source: NRHP, SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1066/thumbnail.jp

    McBee United Methodist Church, Greenville

    No full text
    Architecturally unique, McBee Methodist Church was designed ca. 1842 by John Adams, a local wheelwright who felt that more seating space could be secured by an octagonal arrangement. The little structure is a fine example of octagonal architecture in vogue in the United States from the 1840s to 1860s, its prime advantage being that it encloses one-fifth more floor area than a square with the same total length of wall. In addition, octagonal design offered a new aesthetic dimension to American architecture at this time. The eight-sided brick structure has a pyramidal asphalt-shingle roof topped by an octagonal louvered cupola. It also features a molded brick cornice and a whitewashed base. The small stained-glass panes surrounding larger panes of clear glass were added at a later date. The balcony, formerly used by slaves prior to the Civil War, was later removed and its door converted to another window. The church has a seating capacity of 150. The church was named for Vardry McBee, the “Father of Greenville,” who provided funds for the little church. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1096/thumbnail.jp

    Dials United Methodist Church, Gray Court

    No full text
    This is one of the oldest Methodist congregations in Laurens County. Its earliest records have been lost, but tradition holds that Martin Dial (1744-1843), a veteran of the Revolution, organized a “Methodist Society” about 1808. It met for years in his log cabin nearby. After a camp meeting in 1835, his family donated an acre here for the first permanent church, a log building. The present frame sanctuary was built about 1860. Dials Male and Female Academy, later Dials School, opened nearby before the Civil War and closed in the1930s. The church cemetery, dating from 1832, includes graves of veterans of American wars since the War of 1812. Dials Methodist Church is the mother of Gray Court Methodist Church (1890) and Owings Methodist Church (1920). Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1111/thumbnail.jp

    Leesville United Methodist Church

    No full text
    Included within the Leesville College Historic District, this brick Gothic Revival church was built in 1909 on the site of an earlier frame church. The present church has an apsidal plan and a corner tower, with entrance via the two exposed sides of the tower. An octagonal spire is set within the parapet of the tower. The church has tracried windows with stained glass. A brick educational building, appropriate to the earlier church in scale and texture, has been added. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1120/thumbnail.jp

    White House United Methodist Church, Orangeburg

    No full text
    White House Church is located about 10 miles north of Orangeburg. The deed by which a 4-acre tract of land on which White House Church stood, along with an earlier structure known as the “White Meeting House,” is the earliest documented record of Methodism in Orangeburg County. The church and property were given to the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 1, 1790. In 1801 and 1803, the society was visited by Francis Asbury, pioneer Bishop of American Methodism. White House United Methodist Church is one of the finer and increasingly rare examples in South Carolina of the popular meeting house-style typical of rural and less affluent church congregations. Built ca. 1850, the church reflects the style’s bare and simple design principles, affording only the essentials needed for worship. This can be seen in the church’s rectangular plan, original clapboard siding and hard hand-hewn pine benches. With the exception of a choir loft, stained-glass windows and carpet, the interior appears much as it originally did. The front portico is a 1939 addition, as are the rooms added to the rear. Sources: NRHP, SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1144/thumbnail.jp

    Spann United Methodist Church, Saluda

    No full text
    Founded around1805 at the plantation of John Spann Jr., about 1 mile north, Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1807 and 1811. The first church on this site was built and the cemetery was established ca. 1840. The present Greek Revival sanctuary, built in 1873, is almost unchanged. It is architecturally significant as a remarkably intact example of a vernacular meeting house that illustrates provincial faithfulness to the Greek Revival while alluding to the Romanesque Revival. The two-bay wide by six-bay long temple-form frame building features an engaged tetra-style portico with a pedimented gable roof on the façade and an open bed pediment at the rear. Pilasters at the front corner of the building reflect the portico’s square tapered wooden pillars with recessed panels. The round arched windows and doors and the louvered lunette in the pediment, both allusions to the Romanesque Revival movement of the late 19th century, soften the austere lines of the building and distinguish it from other vernacular meeting houses in rural South Carolina. The cemetery includes a significant collection of funerary art from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the grave markers reflect the Victorian sentimentality and preoccupation with the rites of death. They include popular motifs and forms such as weeping willows, lambs, tree stumps, obelisks and a draped urn. The oldest marked grave dates to 1842. Clinton Ward (1828-1905), a member of this church, was a prominent landowner and a state representative (1880-1883). The Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad ran its tracks through Ward’s property about 1870. He laid out and planned the town first named Ward’s Depot, then Clintonward, then Wards, and finally Ward. Clinton Ward, his wife Martha, and their daughter Josephine are buried here. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1153/thumbnail.jp

    The Fierce Green Fire: Vol 5 Issue 6

    Get PDF

    Wofford Today Spring 2014

    Get PDF

    Daily Announcements November 2014

    Get PDF

    Teaching to the Test: De/Reconstructing the Argument

    Get PDF
    With the implementation of the Common Core Standards, the new Common Core test will start in Spring of 2015. This standardized test is given during the spring of a student’s junior year. Though the test is given junior year, the onus for making sure students are ready is also that of teachers working with freshmen and sophomores. Preparing students to be proficient in the skills necessary for college and potential careers is paramount; one way to ensure such preparation is creating exercises similar to that of the performance task on the sample test. The performance task focuses on assessing a student’s ability to comprehend multiple sources on one topic, support various claims with evidence from multiple sources, establish a counterargument, and compose an argumentative letter as a final product. The purpose of this project is to have students go through similar rhetorical moves as they will on the actual test. However, since the students are sophomores, the exercise will take place in small groups and at stations that divide up the tasks into more manageable chunks. Doing so will allow me to pinpoint students’ areas of weakness and modify the second exercise and my instruction accordingly to maximize learning and preparedness for constructing a solid argument

    3,351

    full texts

    4,444

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Wofford College
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇