4444 research outputs found
Sort by
St. John United Methodist Church, Aiken
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John’s, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville until becoming a separate congregation in 1856. The first sanctuary here, a frame Greek Revival church designed by Dr. E.J.C. Wood, was built in 1857-58. The 1858 Greek Revival church was demolished in 1961-64 and replaced by the present sanctuary, a brick church designed by local architect John Weems. This church, consecrated in 1964, was built on the site of the old church cemetery. With the consent of their descendants, the persons buried there were exhumed and reburied south of the sanctuary. Their names are engraved on a marble plaque near the chapel entrance. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1008/thumbnail.jp
Rehobeth United Methodist Church, Macbeth
This church grew out of services held as early as 1811, at first in a brush arbor and later at a nearby campground. Ministers riding the Cooper River and Berkeley circuits served this congregation for many years. The first sanctuary here was given to the Methodists by area Episcopalians in 1847. Called Black Oak, it had been built in 1808 as a chapel of ease for Biggin Church. In 1852, Charles Macbeth (1805-1881), the planter and politician for whom this community was named, donated a 15.3-acre tract to the congregation. The cemetery, which dates from the 1830s, includes the graves of Rev. John Bunch, who served from 1837 to 38, and Rev. William J. Hutson, who served in 1870. The present sanctuary was built in 1927, during the pastorate of Rev. D. Tillman Rhodes; it was renovated in 1977. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1026/thumbnail.jp
First United Methodist Church, Cheraw
Around 1736, Welsh Baptists came to South Carolina and settled in the Pee Dee region. Some sources date Welsh settlement in the Cheraw area as about 1752. In 1766, Eli Kershaw, who had been given a grant of land along the Pee Dee River, laid out the town of Cheraw. It was incorporated in 1820. Included as part of the historic district, First Methodist is a white frame meeting house in colonial style with four unfluted Doric columns supporting a portico. Source: NRHPhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1041/thumbnail.jp
Cross Swamp United Methodist Church, Islandton
The first Methodist congregation in upper Colleton County was founded in 1808. James and Asia Sineath deeded an acre on this site to church trustees in April, and the first sanctuary – which was a log pole building – appears as a “meeting house” on a November 1808 plat. The second sanctuary, a hewn log building, was replaced by a frame sanctuary shortly before the Civil War. That church burned in 1910; this sanctuary was built and dedicated in 1911. Cross Swamp was on the Lodge Circuit when regular services ended in 1969. The cemetery here dates from the 19th century. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1051/thumbnail.jp
Main Street United Methodist Church, Dillon
This church, founded in 1892, built its first sanctuary at West Main Street and Third Avenue, where the Dillon County Courthouse now stands. That lot was donated by James W. Dillon (1826-1913), for whom the town and county are named. The original church, a frame building, was moved to the corner of Third Avenue and Hudson Street in 1910 to make way for the new county courthouse, which was completed in 1911. The first sanctuary, a brick cruciform church in the Gothic Revival style, was designed by Charlotte architect Oliver D. Wheeler (1864-1942). Completed in 1914, it only stood seven months before it burned in January 1915. The congregation worshipped in the courthouse until a new church was built. Wheeler also designed the present sanctuary, which duplicates his original design and was completed in 1916. Source: SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1060/thumbnail.jp
St. Paul United Methodist Church, Little Rock
Formerly named Liberty Chapel, the church originated in 1786 when Bishop Francis Asbury organized a preaching station on the Little Pee Dee River located across the road from the old Stackhouse home. As settlers living at a distance brought their families in wagons to the services, often remaining over at least one night, the location became known as the Gaddy Camp Ground. Before 1803, the church was relocated near Harllee’s Bridge, just south of the Evander Bethea home. The name of Liberty Chapel was adopted prior to September 17, 1814, when Philip Bethea designated it as such in his will. As the new site eventually proved unsatisfactory, the church was relocated at Harlleesville. Presumably, Thomas Harllee donated the land for the building, as in 1823 he deeded an acre of land to be used for a church, and in 1844 his son, Thomas Harllee Jr., donated land adjacent to the chapel property for a school. The new location also became known as the site of the Harlleesville Camp Meetings, which continued annually until 1848. In 1871, a new building was erected at the present location in the town of Little Rock, the new name for Harlleesville. At that time, the name of the organization was changed to St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church, with W.C. Power as its first minister.https://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1061/thumbnail.jp
Appleby United Methodist Church, St. George
Appleby Church is presumably named for James Preston Appleby, who donated four acres of land for the church site. The building is an excellent example of the Greek Revival, meeting house-style of church architecture. It is a one-story wooden structure built upon low brick piers. It was probably built ca. 1840-1850 and is virtually original. The front façade features two double doors, each having two panels. Three low brick steps lead to the entrance. The side façade s each have four evenly spaced 9/9 windows; the rear façade is identical to the front, with the exception of having only one double door. The building is clapboard, and the medium gable roof is presently covered with asphalt shingles. The cornice is boxed. On the church’s interior, two rows of pews, thought to be original, are divided by a central aisle. During the state’s Tricentennial celebration in 1970, signs were placed along the walls indicating that which is believed to have been the original seating arrangement in Appleby Methodist Church. The northern area was designated for “gentlemen,” the southern area for “ladies and courting couples,” and the northwest area was an “Amen Corner.” Source: NRHP, SCDAHhttps://digitalcommons.wofford.edu/umcschistoric/1065/thumbnail.jp