Springfield College Digital Collections
Not a member yet
    18778 research outputs found

    The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 24) Apr. 18, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    The Springfield Student (vol. 128, no. 2) Sept. 19, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    The Springfield Student (vol. 128, no. 7) Oct. 24, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    Translation of the Advanced Course for Trainers of Basket ball, by Alberto Regina

    No full text
    This is a translation of the coursebook for the Advanced Course for Trainers of Basketball. The coursebook is written in Spanish by Alberto Regina in 1944, a graduate from Springfield College, for a class that he taught. It has been translated into English by his daughter, Theresa Regina, in 2013. The major parts of the book are: Theory; Practice; Hygiene and First Aid; and Study of the Distinct Situations in the Game; Course for Basketball Referees. Regina uses diagrams to explain offense and defense techniques for individual and groups. He also talks about the rules and ethics of a referee. To see the original document see: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3998.For biographical information on Alberto Regina, see: https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/agents/people/140.Translation text changed to a pdf document by Archives staff from original document; For original document, see: ms513-01-a-01-04-001 - http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3998

    Article: Monument recognizing basketball birthplace in Mason Square Springfield helped by lifelong city resident Aaron Williams (July 18, 2010)

    No full text
    This is an article that was downloaded from Masslive.com containing an article titled, "Monument recognizing basketball birthplace in Mason Square Springfield helped by lifelong city resident Aaron Williams". The article was written by Ron Chimelis and published in the Springfield Republican on July 18, 2010. The website page was accessed and the article printed out on June 3, 2013. The article talks about the monument celebrating the creation of basketball on Mason Square. Aaron Williams was the driving force in the creation of the monument. There is history of the site and the creation of basketball within. There are 2 pages article.The building has been known by many different names over the years including the Winchester Square Building, the Mason Square building and the Armory Hill building. Construction on the building was completed in the spring of 1886 and it was dedicated on June 1 of that year. The building consisted of a reading room, gymnasium, parlor, a recitation room, an amusement room and fifty sleeping rooms. The Armory Hill YMCA also rented rooms in the building. In 1891 James Naismith, while a faculty member at the school, invented the game of basketball in the gymnasium of the building. In 1890 the School for Christian Workers separated into two schools which continued to operate out of the same building, the YMCA Training School and the School for Christian Workers. In 1896 the Training School, now Springfield College, finished the transition to its new location on Alden Street and in 1897 the School for Christian Workers became the Bible Normal College and moved to Hartford, Connecticut. The original building was torn down in 1965 to create a parking lot. In 1995, McDonald’s Corporation bought the land, excavating the original foundation and bricks before building a restaurant on the site. Today, there is a monument commemorating the site as the birthplace of basketball

    Springfield College Graduate Commencement Program (2013)

    No full text
    A program for the one hundred and twenty seventh graduate commencement ceremonies of Springfield College held in 2013. This pamphlet starts with a description of the commencement exercises, including songs, prayers, commencement address, conferring of degrees, the Honorary Degree candidates, to then finish with a list of the members of the graduating class. Ms. Marian L. Heard (graduate class of 1978), CEO of Oxen Hill Partners, gave the commencement address. An Honorary degree was conferred to Ms. Marian L. Heard

    The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 16) Feb. 14, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 22) Apr. 4, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 17) Feb. 21, 2013

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    Finding aid: RG 122 Fuller Arts Center Records

    No full text
    This collection documents the Fuller Arts Center from its construction through its most recent renovations in 2009. The collection includes general information, 13 original blueprints created on February 1, 1983 (including elevations, electrical and floor dimensions), newspaper articles regarding the construction of the building and the dedication program, information on the funding of the building (including proposals to Spalding and the Kresge Foundation), Memos and other documentary information on the funding and construction of the building (including information on class donations and early funding from student activities such as Best of Broadway), some news releases from Springfield College on the construction and funding of the Fuller Arts Center, Dedication Materials from both the original dedication and the 2009 renovations, architect drawing and promotional prints, and photographs of the interior and exterior of the building. Of particular note are the dedication materials from the original dedication program in 1984 that was hosted by Art Linkletter. Pictures of Art Linkletter, the original script, programs, and other planning documents are included. There are interior & exterior photographs from both before and after the 2009 renovations. There is also the plaque/painting to the dedication of the Appleton Auditorium. This plaque measures 24 ½” wide x 42 ½” high x 3 ½” deep. It has a wood frame and glass front. Inside of this case is a painting of Allen E. Appleton and the dedication plaque that says, “Appleton Auditorium / The gift of Julius H. and Louise B. Appleton/ In Memory of their Son Allen E. Appleton / In the history of Springfield College, the Appleton Family has played a major role. Dr. Julius Appleton’s services as Trustee spans half a century, and he holds the record for length of active Trusteeship. His distinguished legal counsel, his services as President of the College Corporation, and his leadership carried on a family tradition which began in the early years of the college. He was awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws in 1966. Mrs. Appleton, a leader in community service prior to their retirement to Florida, shares his devotion to Springfield College.”On March 3, 1983, construction began on the corner of Hickory Street and Wilbraham Avenue at the site of the “old ice house.” The Fuller Arts Center, an 11,500-square-foot facility, was to be built on the Springfield College campus as a theatre and auditorium. The idea first came about in 1973 when undergraduate Dennis St. Jean and his friends, who produced and directed Springfield’s first “Best of Broadway” in Moses Hall, collected a handful of money and proposed an offer to the college’s president. They wrote, “Dr. Mr. President: We know you are busy building other things like the Babson Library now, but one day we hope you’ll build us a little theatre. Without exerting any pressure, we want you to have this collection as a down payment on that building. Please save it for that and, when you can build one, use our dollars.” The fund grew to 10,000bythelate70s.In1978thesestudentsdreamsbecamearealityasaTheatreTaskForcewasappointedanditsbuildingwasincorporatedintotheCapitalCampaign.By1979theCapitalCampaignwasheadedbyArtLinkletter,whomadeasignificantcontributionof10,000 by the late 70s. In 1978 these student’s dreams became a reality as a Theatre Task Force was appointed and its building was incorporated into the Capital Campaign. By 1979 the Capital Campaign was headed by Art Linkletter, who made a significant contribution of 50,000 himself. Other leading contributors were Julius and Louise Appleton who pledged 100,000tothecampaign,theGeorgeF.andSybilH.FullerFoundation,andtheGeorgeI.AldenTrust.OnMay4,1984ArtLinkletterhostedthededicationperformancefortheFullerArtsCenter.AttheceremonytheSCDanceTroupes,SCSingers,theStageBand,andtwotheatricalcompanies,BestofBroadwayandtheAmericanTheatreAcademy,performed.Thetotalcostoftheonestoryglass,concrete,andbrickmultipurposefacilitythatmetadiversityofneedsatSpringfieldCollegewas100,000 to the campaign, the George F. and Sybil H. Fuller Foundation, and the George I. Alden Trust. On May 4, 1984 Art Linkletter hosted the dedication performance for the Fuller Arts Center. At the ceremony the SC Dance Troupes, SC Singers, the Stage Band, and two theatrical companies, Best of Broadway and the American Theatre Academy, performed. The total cost of the one- story glass, concrete, and brick multi-purpose facility that met a diversity of needs at Springfield College was 850,000. The Appleton Auditorium consisted of 12-rows with 300 seats to accommodate plays, films, concerts, and public lectures. The classic statement is that “there is not a bad seat in the house,” since all rows are arranged in concentric curves focusing on center stage. The stage was 4’4” high, 47 feet wide and 23 feet deep. The stage also had a remote controlled movie screen measuring 18 feet wide and 13.5 feet high. Other features of the auditorium at its opening were more advanced lighting, a control booth, lobby, box-office, college offices, dressing rooms, and a storage area for props and costumes. The building was renovated and rededicated in the spring of 2009 with money raised during the most recent Capital Campaign in 2008, for which Linkletter served as honorary chair. For this reason the Linkletter Foyer carries his name. A generous amount was also provided once again by the George F. and Sybil H. Fuller Foundation. Renovations included a new entrance, a new façade of glass, brick, and limestone, new flooring, and a track-lighted ceiling. Other improvements were new stage flooring, curtains, sound system, carpeting, and acoustical wall panels. The Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the renovated Fuller Arts Center was held on Thursday, March 5, 2009 at Noon. Speaking at the unveiling, President Richard B. Flynn said, “The Fuller Arts Center has been a center of activity on our campus and in our community for a quarter of a century. Now, with technology and enhancements that make it more useful, accessible, comfortable, and attractive, it is equipped to present the sophisticated arts events and college programs that are integral to first-quality higher education and the cultural life of our region.” 1973: The idea to built an arts center first came about when undergraduate Dennis St. Jean and his friends, who produced and directed Springfield’s first “Best of Broadway,” collected a handful of money and proposed the offer to the college’s president 1978: Theatre Task Force was appointed and incorporated into the Capital Campaign 1979: Capital Campaign headed by Art Linkletter. He made a significant contribution of $50,000 to the campaign fund himself 1983: On March 3rd construction of the Fuller Arts Center began on the corner of Hickory Street and Wilbraham Avenue at the site of the “old ice house” 1984: On May 4, 1984 Art Linkletter hosted the dedication performance for the Fuller Arts Center; SC Dance Troupes, SC Singers, the Stage Band, and two theatrical companies, Best of Broadway and the American Theatre Academy, performed 2008: Most recent Capital Campaign raises money for Fuller Arts Center renovations; Linkletter served as honorary chair 2009: Building was renovated and rededicated in the spring. Renovations included a new entrance, a new façade of glass, brick, and limestone, new flooring, and a track-lighted ceiling. Other improvements were a new stage flooring, curtains, sound system, carpeting, and acoustical wall panels. 2009: Thursday March 5th at Noon: Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the renovated Fuller Arts Center was held; President Richard B. Flynn gave speech at unveiling Written by Nicole DeCristoforo, 201

    0

    full texts

    18,778

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Springfield College Digital Collections
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇