Springfield College Digital Collections
Not a member yet
18778 research outputs found
Sort by
Finding Aid: RG 172 - Springfield College Volleyball Team Records
This is the Finding Aid for RG 172 - Springfield College Volleyball Team Records collection. The Volleyball Collection documents both men’s and women’s volleyball at Springfield College. The collection also includes materials both from varsity and junior varsity teams, which have not been separated within the collection. The bulk of the collection dates from the mid-1960s through the 1980s, but there are some older items (pre-1965) and some more recent materials (from the 1990s and 2000s).
The General Volleyball materials include newspaper clippings and programs related to the Volleyball Hall of Fame (ca. 1988-1994), information about the Golden Jubilee of Volleyball (1945-1946) from the USVBA, articles and programs related to the International Volleyball Championships (1951), information about volleyball and the Olympics (1952, 1957-58, ca. 1963-64), an article from the USVBA honoring Avery Brundage (1967-68), programs and other ephemera from the 1973 and 1975 USVBA championships, a typed and bound manuscript entitled “Biographical Tribute to Robert E. Laveaga: A Successful Teacher, Coach, and Early Contributor to Volleyball Literature” (post-1966), and an American Volleyball newsletter and other clippings (1993, 1995).
The Combined Men & Women’s section contains materials that relate specifically to volleyball at Springfield College. These materials include original sketches of artwork that was used in SC publications (unknown, 1983), newspaper clippings related to the death of a female volleyball player from California Riverside who was playing in a tournament at SC (1981), newspaper clippings, press releases, and alumni relations information (ca. 1970-1982), alumni relations information and volleyball newsletters from the 1990s (including some mention of the volleyball centennial), and a series of volleyball season scorecards from 1958-1985. There are also four VHS videos (each of a specific volleyball game) from 1984, 1986, and 1987, and some plaques and commemorative volleyballs (see in box list below).
The Women’s Team section includes a variety of coaching and recruitment materials as well as information about individual games and seasons. Varsity and Junior Varsity (JV) materials are often mixed together. Wherever possible, the materials are arranged chronologically by season, and they include items like score sheets, tournament information, player/season/game records, diagrams of player rotations, recruitment and publicity letters, other correspondence, alumni relations information, press releases, newspaper clippings, etc. Folders labeled “Miscellaneous Materials” contain any number of those items. In some cases, different materials are available for different games or seasons, and there are some gaps in the collection.
Within the men’s materials there is also a great variety of materials, including incoming and outgoing correspondence (particularly from Coach Tom Hay), schedules, rosters, score sheets, news clippings, information about specific games and tournaments, sign-up sheets, contact information sheets, memos, press releases, and photographs. Most of this part of the collection seems to relate to the men’s varsity team, but there may be junior varsity materials mixed in. This portion of the collection is arranged chronologically by school year, beginning with 1965-1966.To learn more about the Volleyball Team at Springfield College, see: https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/repositories/2/resources/48
Finding Aid: RG 170 - Springfield College Varsity Tennis Team Records
This is the Finding Aid for RG 170 - Springfield College Varsity Tennis Team Records collection. Among the combined men’s and women’s material there are a couple brochures that are for both programs and a folder that seems to contain materials from both the men’s and women’s program. This folder contains news releases from marketing and communications, alumni newsletter, and some information on the historical team records of both men’s and women’s team.
In the men’s tennis collection there are mostly photographs from 1919-1987 and brochures from 1962-2000. These contain mostly team photos, although, especially in the 1968-1979 folder there are many individual photographs. There are individually marked folders containing team photographs and individual photographs from the years 1980 until 2001. There are some gaps in photographs for the years 1985 and 1988. There are also some gaps in the brochures, especially between the mid 1970’s to the mid 1990’s. In addition, the brochures from 1968 through the mid 1970’s were combined with the men’s golf team: duplications and missing brochures may be in the men’s golf collection. Finally, there are some newspaper clippings, slides from 1982, scorecards from 1909-1984, and a folder with coach Brock’s 1937 Varsity Tennis information, mostly on expenses for the team.
In the women’s tennis collection there are some undated photographs of women’s tennis teams and some individual players. In addition, there is some historical information, some tennis programs from 1994 until 2012, drawings used in publications from Marketing and Communications, and some misc. materials. The folders are arranged in chronological order beginning in 1969-1971 with information regarding Jone Bush’s team. There are folders containing photographs from 1974 to 2000. There are also results, score sheets, newspaper clippings and news releases, and tournament information.To learn more about the Varsity Tennis Team at Springfield College, see: https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/repositories/2/resources/47
Finding Aid: RG 119 Brennan Center Records
At this time there is not a lot of information contained in the Brennan Center Records. The collection contains some drafts of floor plans, a proposal submitted by Kieran, Timberlake & Harris for the renovation of the Brennan Center to hold the Archives dated September 1997, and a series of electronic photographs with paper facsimiles of the 2002 renovations and the archives at that time.The Brennan Center, a single-level brick building located a short distance away (precisely one and a half miles) from campus on 45 Island Pond Road, was originally purchased by Springfield College on July 1, 1992. The building was given to Springfield College as a gift by Mr. and Mrs. Brennan, former owners of the Brennan College Service Corporation. Their corporation was sold to a larger company and the Brennan Family felt that the college would greatly benefit from the building. When the building was first acquired, it housed the Emergency Medical Services program (EMS) and the Physician Assistant (PA) Bachelor Degree Program. Previously, the EMS program was located in the basement of Locklin, in which a lack of space soon became a problem. In addition, the newly formed Archives and Special Collections was moved from the Babson Library to the Brennan Center, where it remained until 2010 when it returned to campus in the newly renovated Judd Gymnasia.
During the winter and spring of 2002, the 19,300 square-foot building underwent a $2 million renovation/ expansion. This renovation was completed in the fall of 2002. The building became the new home of the School of Social Work and the College’s conference center. In addition, alterations to approximately 3,900 square-feet of the Brennan Center were made to create the college’s Archives and Special Collections. The purpose of the renovation and expansion was to provide enhanced space for inhabitants as well as to support the College’s meeting-space needs. Additions to the new facility included electronically equipped classrooms with smart technology; a large, tiered auditorium-style classroom; a conference room with seating for 20 around an oval table; an airy, light-filled two-story lobby/lounge; a computer room; and various other facilities. The PA and EMS programs were moved back on campus to the first floor or Wilbraham Hall. The reason for moving these programs back on the main campus was because of the large number of undergraduates in those programs. The College felt it was important to have all of the undergraduates taking classes and being able to utilize all of the services that they were paying for at the college from the main campus.
After the School of Social Work moved to the newly renovated Brennan Center, it created a domino effect for the relocation of other offices. Admissions moved to the space that was vacated by Social Work located on Middlesex Avenue. Doggett Memorial, which was built in the 1950’s and had been used as the Admissions Office since the 1990’s was showing its age. The prospective costs of renovating the building were not in the College’s favor. Instead, in March 2002 Doggett Memorial was demolished to make way for construction of the new president’s house. The Board of Trustees believed that Springfield College was the type of institution in which the president ought to live on campus. This would provide a living space for the current President, Dr. Richard B. Flynn, and future presidents. It also provided additional space for presidential meetings and entertainment.
In 2010, the Springfield College Archives and Special Collections were moved into the new Stitzer YMCA Center. As a result of this move, the 3,900 square feet that was used for the preservation of the college’s archives was freed to be used to increase the classroom and office space needed by the School of Social Work. A vision that saw its realization in the summer of 2012.
Written by Nicole DeCristoforo, 201
Finding Aid: RG 130 Loveland Chapel Records
This collection documents the construction, opening, and the history of the Loveland Chapel. The collection contains general information, news articles, correspondence, planning documents, and photographs. The collection contains memos and meeting minutes on the planning and design of the Chapel. There are also many documents on the dedication ceremonies. Of particular interest is the list of donors for the Allen organ, donated by Haines W. Kent. Photographs include pictures of the interior as well as the original apartment that existed in the chapel.In 1946, Norman and Ruth Loveland established a fund for the construction of a chapel on the campus of Springfield College. The intent of the chapel was, in their words, “to help maintain the spiritual character of Springfield College.” Mr. Loveland, a businessman from Bristol, CT, was a man with deep roots at Springfield College. He was a 1924 graduate of Springfield College, a Tarbell Medallion recipient, and had served as a member of the Board of Trustees. From 1946 till their deaths, Mr. Loveland (1965) and his wife, Ruth (1968), the couple made regular contributions to the “chapel” fund. Upon Mrs. Loveland’s death, a lump sum bequest of 350,000. Under the leadership of President Wilbert E. Locklin, it was determined that a chapel should be built on the East Campus. This site was chosen with the intent to establish an active ongoing presence at East Campus.
A task force chaired by Rev. Kenneth Childs was gathered. The task force had representation from Community Education, Department of Recreation, College Campgrounds, Department of Biology, The Physical Plant Department and the Student Body. Among those assisting the task force was Dr. John Brainerd, a retired professor of biology and conservation. He was charged with design considerations with specific emphasis placed on designing a structure that would blend into the woodland setting and utilizing natural materials and design with a focus on energy conservation.
Alfred P. Casella, of Agawam, was chosen as the architect. Previously, the firm designed the physical education complex on campus. Built of wood and stone, the 5,000 sq. ft. structure incorporates environmental awareness in terms of energy efficiency. Ciocca Construction Corporation of Springfield was chosen as the contractor.
Groundbreaking for Loveland Chapel took place on September 15, 1980 and the chapel was completed in June of 1981. Dedication of the building was held on May 30, 1981. Of special note the dedication recognized the following features that were donated:
The Allen Organ - W. Haines Kent, Class of 1924 donated the Allen Organ to the chapel. The organ had been gifted to him upon his retirement as state executive of the Pennsylvania YMCA in 1962. His gift to the chapel was “in appreciation of the four years he spent here preparing for his Y work.” The Gates - The gates, erected on Wilbraham Road at the entrance to the chapel grounds are actually the originally1910 Pratt Field Gates, which had been in storage for over a decade after they were finally removed from their original location. Stained Glass Windows - Mrs. Vera Brown, sister of Mrs. Carol Loveland, donated a stained glass window in memory of Norman and Ruth Loveland. Another stained glass window, depicting the Springfield College triangle, was donated in honor of Philip W. Breux, Class of 1938, upon his retirement as “a YMCA professional from 1935-1981.”
The building itself was visualized as “an academic chapel” or non-denominational chapel. Its open floor nave could accommodate 150 people. Also incorporated in its utilitarian design was a conference room and apartment that originally was envisioned to be used by an “East Campus Coordinator.” In 1988, under the leadership of President Frank Falcone, Loveland Chapel became The Child Development Center which remains its use to this day.
Written by Sheila Thompson, 201
Finding Aid: RG 148 - Student Union/Doggett's House Records
This collection documents the old Student Union house or, as it has been known over time, Doggett’s House, Gulick’s House, and/or Beebe’s House. Included in the collection is a letter dated May 31, 1900 from Luther Halsey Gulick offering his house to the school, a pamphlet thought to be from the late forties or early fifties talking about the house as a Student Union, and exterior images of the House throughout its life.In the early 1890s Springfield College purchased a large tract of land bordered by the railroad from the Bowles/ Alexander families. Four years later Dr. Luther Halsey Gulick purchased a one acre plot of this tract near the corner of Wilbraham Road and Alden Street with the stipulation that the school would have the right of first refusal if and when he chose to sell the property.
On this property, Dr. Gulick built a three story, 16 room house. Dr. Gulick designed the house himself, paying 200 for the grading of the property following construction. In May of 1900, when he left the employ of Springfield College, Gulick offered the house and property to the school for 35.00 per month. The school would make all needed repairs. Because of the extensive repairs needed, and the expected cost of such repairs, an agreement was reached with Walter Beebe, for the College to purchase the property for 12,000. President Doggett resided in the house from 1914 through 1936, when he retired.
After he left, the house was used for many other purposes. Initially, the house was converted into a dormitory. Interestingly enough, while Dr. Doggett lived in the house, the third floor was renovated and used as student rental units, so this wasn’t the first time that students had used the structure for housing.
In the 1940’s the building was used as storage until 1947, when it was renovated for use as the Student Union. It remained a Student Union until the completion of the Beveridge Center in 1959, when it was razed. The property today is a parking area for Babson Library.
Written and researched by Sheila Thompson, September 201
"They Call Me Coach" - Naomi Graves (2012)
This video shows Dr. Naomi Graves’ lecture “They Call Me Coach: The Role of the Teacher-Coach in the Stewardship of Humanics,” which she gave on April 24, 2012 at 4 p.m. in the Appleton Auditorium in the Fuller Arts Center. She served as the 2012 Distinguished Professor of Humanics. Her lecture was filmed in two parts files. The first part opens with Dr. Jean Wyld, Springfield College’s vice president for academic affairs and professor of biology, at the podium. She welcomes the audience, describes the history of the Humanics philosophy at Springfield College, and acknowledges the previous Distinguished Professors of Humanics who are in the audience. At 00:05:20, Graves begins her lecture, which focuses on the idea of stewardship within the teacher-coach model. She starts by describing her own history as a teacher-coach, beginning with her arrival on the Springfield College campus as a master’s student. She then describes the unique role and responsibilities of coaches at Springfield College. During her year as Distinguished Professor of Humanics, Graves sought to answer how student-athletes and teacher-coaches steward Humanics, especially in regard to the Spirit-Mind-Body philosophy. In order to do this, she researched the history of teacher-coach stewards at Springfield College, and specifically focuses on Luther Gulick, James Naismith, Amos Alonzo Stagg, and James McCurdy. Graves then discusses her six mentors, who all received the Distinguished Professor of Humanics in the role of teacher-coach: Mimi Murray, Dotty Zenaty, Diane Potter, Herbert Zettl, Charles Silvia, and Joel Dearing. As part of her project, Graves asked each of the twenty-six intercollegiate athletic teams to complete a “Top Ten List” video showing how they integrate the Humanics philosophy (based on David Letterman's List of Top 10). At 00:22:49, she shows a video that splices together highlights from each team’s video, as well as the top two teams’ videos. In the second video, Wyld thanks Graves for her work and presents her with the Distinguished Professor of Humanics pin. Finally, Wyld announces the 2012-2013 Distinguished Professor of Humanics, Dr. Charles Redington, and presents him with a plaque. The last two minutes are blank
The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 7) Oct. 25, 2012
“The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.
The Springfield Student (vol. 126, no. 15) Feb. 9, 2012
“The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.
The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 12) Dec. 6, 2012
“The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.
Finding Aid: RG 165 - Springfield College Lacrosse Team Records
This is the Finding Aid for RG 165 - Springfield College Lacrosse Team Records collection. There are no materials at this time that are for both Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse teams. In the men’s lacrosse materials there are news clippings, photographs from 1971-2001, slides from 1990, some awards, some brochures, and video cassette tapes from 1988. In the men’s Lacrosse materials is a film of the 1950 Springfield College vs. Dartmouth game – this has not been verified, but is what is said on the outside of the container and two VHS tapes for the games, 1988 vs. Holy Cross & Amherst.
In the women’s lacrosse materials there are news clippings, photographs, slides from 1990, brochures and a Video Cassette tape of 1994 National Championship Lacrosse.To learn more about the Lacrosse Team at Springfield College, see: https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/repositories/2/resources/48