6763 research outputs found
Sort by
Reference to index of Journal of a voyage from Hull to Swan River on the brig "Tranby" , 9 September 1829 - 2 February 1830 : Journal and letter register 1829 - 1858 of Thomas Coke Brownell
Thomas Coke Brownell (1800-1871), son of Rev. John Brownell, came in 1829 as surgeon on the 'Tranby' (Master John Story), with his wife Elizabeth, daughter, and a son, James Story, born on the voyage. After a short time at Perth he came to V.D.L. and was employed as catechist (at one time he applied to be ordained) as well as medical officer at convict settlements, including Maria Island, Brighton, Avoca, Port Arthur. He had 12 children.
- Private Deposit B.
Reference to index of papers, mainly relating to his study of James Erskine Calder and personal correspondence
Copies of Calders writings.
Xerox copies of articles, reports etc. by James Erskine Calder (1808-1882) surveyor, from Tasmania State
Archives, Mitchell Library, Latrobe Library, including correspondence Government reports, articles in newspapers . Also copies of Calder's obituary notices and typed edited version of Calder's articles arranged as 'Historyl in chapters with notes.
Private Deposit DX.8 see also D.
Reference to index of records of the Electrolytic-zinc Company Union rules
Rules of the Electrolytic Zinc Workers Union (1959),
Employees' Medical Union (1963), Hobart Trades Hall Council (1957), Federated Iron Workers Association (1958), and membership card of Zinc Workers' Union issued to P. Taylor, patrolman (1963
Reference to index of records of the Friends School archives
The foundation of Friends' School was first proposed in 1884, when a group of parents requested Joseph Benson Mather to inquire whether an English member of the Society of Friends would be willing to come to Tasmania to start a school, although only a small number of Friend pupils could be guaranteed. The London Yearly Meeting favoured the foundation of a school for Australian Friends and agreed that Hobart was a suitable place for it. They undertook to pay travelling expenses for a teacher and guarantee his salary for three years, if the Australian Friends could provide a suitable building. A sub-committee of the London Meeting for Sufferings was appointed to watch the interests of Australian Friends and the establishment of the school. A Hobart committee managed the school. Includes Committees of Management 1885 -1923, Board of Governors 1923,School Administration, Student Activities Societies, School magazine, etc. Photographs, Press cuttings, publications, historical notes, Headmasters' Papers of E. J. Gower, E. E. Unwin ,W.N. Oats and other miscellaneous informatio
Reference to index of records of the Girls Industrial School, Hobart 1862-1945- record of Committee and minutes of the monthly committee meetings dealing with bills, expenses, staff matters and the welfare of the children
The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the Hobart Town Female Refuge to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually under the patronage of the Governor’s wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House, Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to 'Maylands , Pirie Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.
These records are the committee records only. There are no personal records of the girls or their background or committal orders. Nor has any of the secretary’s correspondence survived. However the minutes of the monthly committee meetings dealt with bills, expenses, staff matters and the welfare of the children, and note briefly admissions and decisions on discharge of girls to service or to relatives, if any. There is an admission register noting name, date of admission and usually age and the name of the J.P. or other authority committing the child and the period of detention, with occasionally a note of discharge to service or the name of a parent, if known, but this volume was apparently not used regularly after about 1880. In 1902 a special record was begun, for the committee's use, of girls in the institution, noting where they were sent into service so that the committee could keep in touch with them. The amount of information noted varied.
Private Deposit G3 & G3/9-
Reference to index of records of cartoon of Alexander George Gurney (1902-1955)
Alexander George Gurney (15 Mar 1902 -4 Dec 1955), was an
Australian cartoonist born in Morice Town, Devon, UK. After his
father died in 1903, his mother (who was Australian) returned
with him to Hobart, Tasmania, where she remarried. After leaving
Macquarie Street State School at age 13, he served a seven year
electrical apprenticeship with the Hydro-Electric Commission,
studying art part-time in night classes at Hobart Technical School
In 1939 he created the characters for which he became famous:
Bluey and Curley, which first appeared in the "Picture-News"
magazine then The Sun News-Pictorial in 1940 and syndicated
throughout Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The strip, about a
pair of soldiers. Was appreciated for the good-humoured way it
depicted the Australian "digger" "mateship" and for its realistic us
use of the Australian idiom. Alex visited army camps throughout
Australia and New Guinea to ensure authenticity. While in New
Guinea he contracted malaria and was incapacitated for some
time. The strip lost some of its appeal and readership when the
pair returned to 'civvy' street
Reference to index of poetry and photographs of Rev. Frederick A Woods
Rev. Frederick A Woods (1861-1944) was a Congregational Church minister, who served at Bellerive and other places, and was Chairman of the Congregational Union of Tasmania. These papers include many sacred poems and other miscellaneous poetry and notes and photographs of himself and family
Reference to the index of the Walker family papers
George Washington Walker (1800-1859) was born in London, son and 21st child of
John Walker and Elizabeth (nee Ridley), but from the age of five he was brought up by his
maternal grandmother in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He went to a Wesleyan School at Barnard
Castle and was later apprenticed to a draper, Hadwin Bragg, who was a member of the
Society of Friends (Quakers). George began attending the Friends Meeting and met James
Backhouse of York, a friend of the Braggs. In 1832 George W. Walker accompanied
James Backhouse on a missionary journey for the Society of Friends' London Meeting For
Sufferings and came first to V.D.L. where they established a Friends Meeting. They spent
some years in the Australian colonies, being particularly concerned with the welfare of
convicts and aborigines, and went on to South Africa in 1837. G.W. Walker returned to
Hobart in 1840 to many Sarah, only daughter of Robert and Ann Mather and he set up in
business as a draper.
G.W. Walker's eldest son, James Backhouse Walker, was born in 1841 and was sent
to the Friends School in York, U.K. from 1853M 1856. On his return he worked as a clerk
in the office of T.D. Chapman. In 1859 he joined the staff of the Savings Bank and in 1872
he entered the legal profession and practised as a solicitor in Hobart from 1876 until his death
in 1899. He was a prominent member of the Royal Society of Tasmania. He was also on
the Council of Education and was actively concerned in the establishment of the University
of Tasmania and served on the University Council from the beginning and was
Vice-Chancellor 1898-9. He also worked for the Total Abstinence Society, the Bible
Society and was on the committees of the High School, the Ladies College and, although the
Walker family were brought up as Quakers, he attended the Congregational chapel and taught
in the Congregational Sunday School
After his father's death in 1859 James, as head of the family helped to support and
educate his younger brothers and sisters. His eldest sister, Elizabeth Ann (Lizzie), was her
mother's helper and housekeeper but the other girls were educated as teachers or
governesses. Sarah became a teacher at the Ladies College about 1888 and Vice-Principal
1890. Mary Augusta was a governess and taught drawing, French and Italian and studied
art in Melbourne and then at the Slade and Herkomer Schools in England. Of the boys
Robert was a linen draper, John Ridley was clerk to a merchant, P.O.Fyshe and Joseph was
articled to the architect Henry Hunter but died young.
The papers consist mainly of family correspondence of G.W. Walker and his children
and a few diaries and miscellaneous papers. James B. Walker's letters to his sisters,
particularly letters to Mary Augusta while she was overseas are especially descriptive of his
activities and of Hobart life. Mary Walkers' letters from London describe her life as a
student in London and her correspondence with friends met then contain references to artists,
especially women painters and sculptors.
Most of the Walker papers were deposited in the care ofthe University by members of
the Walker family (W9), some members still retaining some papers, but some
correspondence of George Washington Walker was deposited by F.e. Wolfhagen solicitor
of the firm of Simmons, Wolfhagen, Simmons and Walker (W7)
Reference to the index of the correspondence, personal records and miscellaneous lectures and talks of Edmund Morris Miller (1881-1964)
Edmund Morris Miller (1881-1964) C.B.E., M.A., D.Litt. (Melb.) was a librarian in the Public Library of Victoria from 1900 until 1913 when he was appointed Lecturer in Mental and Moral Science in the University of Tasmania. He was made Assoc. Prof. in 1925 and Professor in 1928. From 1933 to 1945 he served as Vice-Chancellor and also was Honorary Librarian from 1919 until 1945.
The collection was deposited by Morris Miller on his retirement and augmented by donations from Mrs Miller and others in response to an appeal from the Library in 1967. The collection includes general correspondence received, mainly on literary and bibliographic topics predominately from 1955 to 1962, copies and drafts of letters sent, mainly about his literary research and publications, personal records, university lecture notes, typescripts of his various publications, newspaper cuttings and photographs
Reference to the index of the records of the Hobart Regional Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers), from 1833.
Records of the Hobart Regional Meeting of the Religious Society of friends (Quakers) from 1833, including minutes of meetings, membership records, clerk's correspondence and papers, etc.
The Hobart meeting began in 1833 when the visiting Quakers, James backhouse and George Washington Walker, held meetings for worship in the Quaker manner, and others wished to join them. Accordingly on 20 September 1833 a small group of Friends met in a private house in Bathurst street and formed a "Meeting for Discipline". In 1836 a house
in Murray Street was purchased as a Meeting House. In 1880 a stone Meeting House was built behind the old weatherboard house and in 1960 the present site in Argyle Street next
to the Friends School was purchased.
- Private Deposit S.