7277 research outputs found
Sort by
South Providence - Comstock Ave.
The Lower South Side (or Lower South Providence) is a neighborhood in southern Providence, Rhode Island. It is bounded from Upper South Providence by Public Street to the north, Interstate 95, to the south, and Broad Street, and the Providence River to the west and east respectively. Though often associated closely with Upper South Providence, they are differentiated by location and the far more frequent occurrence in the latter of institutional buildings and space. Originally the area that is now Lower South Providence was pasture land. The area was ceded to the new town of Cranston in 1754 and would not rejoin Providence until 1868.
A streetcar added in 1865 ran west along Public Street, and then south down Ocean Street, and would transform the Lower South Side into Providence\u27s first streetcar suburb. In the next ten years, the streets along which the streetcar ran developed quickly. Between 1860 and 1880, as the population of Providence doubled to 104,857, Irish immigrants, which had hitherto been confined further north, began to populate the southern part of Lower South Providence. Because the city of Cranston was traditionally Republican, residents began to fear that a large immigrant population, which overwhelmingly voted Democratic, would undermine its Republican political affiliations. For this reason, Cranston ceded the Lower South Side (along with Washington Park) back to Providence in 1868.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1272/thumbnail.jp
Smith Hill: Douglas Avenue, Triple Deckers
Triple-deckers photographed on Douglas Ave. This photograph illustrates the architectural variety in the triple-decker style. Most were intended for lower-income families and provided only rudimentary quarters. These proliferated on the side of streets off Atwells Avenue, Thurbers Avenue, and as pictured here, in the North End.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1328/thumbnail.jp
Jerusalem: Simoni Cyrenato Crux Imponitur, Via Dolorosa
The stations of the cross were codified by Leonardo of Porto Maurizo, a Franciscan, who established the fourteen stations along Christs walk with the cross. This photograph is of the fifth station, as represented in the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem. The Via Dolorosa is modern approximation of Christs walk to his crucifixion. At the fifth station, the tradition holds that the Romans pulled an onlooker, Simon of Cyrene, to help Christ carry the cross.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1650/thumbnail.jp
South Providence 235 Housing CURE
Housing in South Providence built under the Section 235 Housing Act of 1968. While 235 housing allowed families to buy a home through subsidized mortgages, it has also been criticized for effectively segregating the population, putting white families in new developments, and placing African American applicants in “existing” developments.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1274/thumbnail.jp
Norfolk: Elizabeth River Ferry
The Elizabeth River Ferry runs three paddle-wheel ferryboats that connect Portsmouth and Norfolk. The ferry system is operated as part of Hampton Roads Transit as of 1999. The photo is taken from The Waterside in Norfolk. On the horizon is Harbor Tower Apartments.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1557/thumbnail.jp
Jerusalem: Truck Chasis from 1948 War on Roadside
This photograph taken along the highway entering Jerusalem shows rusting truck chasis’ as a reminder of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Smolski writes about the dangers faced by convoys entering the city during the war in his 1980 article Glorious Pre-Industrial City.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1730/thumbnail.jp
Identity Crisis: External Coaches Struggle to Clarify Roles and Maintain Focus on Student Learning
Boston: South End
The Boston neighborhood known as the South End (see notes) was once marshland that was filled in the 1840s as a solution to overcrowding in the Back Bay area. Renowned architect Charles Bulfinch created a plan for the South End neighborhood’s architecture that consisted of connected brick townhouses. The homes vary in style and detail, but have consistent elements such as iron railings, bay windows, and brick sidewalks.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1405/thumbnail.jp
View of docks on Block Island
Looking across the ferry landing on Block Island. On the horizon is the National Hotel (1903) and to the right of the is oldest surviving hotel, the Surf (1873, 1888). This group of buildings conveys the sense of a nineteenth-century seaside resort better than any remaining spot in Rhode Island.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1309/thumbnail.jp
Old State Capitol- North Main Street, Providence
The Old State House on College Hill in Providence, Rhode Island, also known as Providence Sixth District Court House, Providence Colony House, Providence County House, or Rhode Island State House is located on 150 Benefit Street. It is a brick Georgian-style building largely completed in 1762, and became the meeting place for the colony and state legislature for 149 years.
From colonial times into the mid-nineteenth century, the Rhode Island General Assembly rotated meetings between the state\u27s five county court houses, and five former Rhode Island state houses survive today. In 1760 The General Assembly built the Old State House to replace an earlier wooden courthouse built in 1730 on Meeting Street. It was largely finished by 1762 with some details being completed by 1771. Many of the Georgian architectural details were borrowed from the larger and more ornate Newport Colony House. Before nineteenth century alterations to the Providence State House, the two buildings greatly resembled one another.
After 1853 the state legislature ceased meeting at Kent, Washington and Bristol county courthouses, but continued to alternate its sessions between here and the Newport State House in Newport into the early 20th century. At the Old State House on May 4, 1776, the General Assembly declared its independence renouncing its allegiance to the British crown, and the date is now celebrated as Rhode Island Independence Day. Fierce anti-slavery debates occurred in the building in the late 1700s. George Washington visited the building in 1781 and 1790. The building was extensively renovated and dramatically altered several times in the nineteenth century.
By 1901 the new Rhode Island State House was occupied on Smith Hill and the legislature vacated the Old State House. The Old State House was used as a Court House until 1975 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and as part of the College Hill Historic Landmark District in 1971. The building is now home to the Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission.https://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_images/1303/thumbnail.jp