Ohio Library and Information Network

OhioLINK Digital Resource Commons
Not a member yet
    86230 research outputs found

    "A. E. Nettleton" 205126

    No full text
    In 1908, "A. E. Nettleton" was built by the Detroit Ship Building Company in Wyandotte, Michigan. The original owner, Wilkinson Transportation Company, was one of seven owners. In 1948, the Great Lakes Steamship Company reduced the tonnage and dimension. In 1971, the vessel was converted to a barge. While under charter to the Escanaba Towing Company in 1971-1972, the "A. E. Nettleton: broke a tow line while being moved by the tug "Olive L. Moore". The accident took place about seventeen miles west of Keewenaw Peninsula, Lake Superior. The barge developed a 15 degree list while being towed into Lily Pond, Keewenaw Waterway. On November 19, 1972, as the barge passed downbound through the Soo Locks, "A.E. Nettleton" struck the United States Steel Corporation dock below the Soo Locks. The vessel was removed from documentation in May/June of 1973. Tugs, "G. W. Rogers" and "Salvage Monarch" started the final journey with the "A. E. Nettleton" in tow. The vessel arrived on July 5, 1973 in Santander, Spain where is was scrapped by Recuperaciones Submarines.

    CIL 6.2107 – Fragment of the Acta of the Arval Brothers (Arvales fratres)

    No full text
    Squeeze and photographs, with notes by A.E. Gordon

    "Glencorrie" 145511

    No full text
    The "Glencorrie" was built in 1923 in Wallsend-on-Tyne, Great Britain by the Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Limited. Glen Line Limited was the first owner (1923-1925) and the vessel was registered in Canada. "Glencorrie" was 250.25 feet in length and 42.50 feet wide. The "Glencorrie" experienced multiple ownership changes. The Glen Line Limited sold the vessel to George Hall Coal and Shipping Company, Limited, (1925-1926); Canada Steamship Lines, (1926-1962); Northern Offshore Drilling, Limited, (1962-1966); Hollis IV, Limited, (1966-1975); and Dwor Metal Company, Limited, (1975-1977). The vessel remained registered to Canada through all ownership changes. During the 1926-1962, the "Glencorrie's" name was changed to "Simcoe". In 1962, "Simcoe" was converted to an off-shore natural gas drilling rig by the Kingston Shipyards, Limited in Kingston, Ontario. The final name change was recorded in 1965 and was listed as "Nordrill". "Nordrill was scrapped by Dwor Metal Company Limited at Port Colborne, Ontario in 1977

    "Paliki"

    No full text
    J. Blumer and Company of Sunderland, Great Britain built the bulk freighter, "Paliki" in 1889 for P. G. Cicellis and was registered in Argostoli, Greece. The vessel was 240.00 feet in length and 36.00 feet wide. Her gross tonnage was 1598.00 tons. In 1899, the vessel was sold to Algorma Central and Hudson Bay Railway Company Limited, Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario and registered as a Canadian vessel. During that ownership, the tonnage was reduced to 1578 gross tons. The F. E. Hall and Company purchased the vessel on March 20, 1916. C.A. Stewart and Company, Limited owned the vessel from 1916-1926. During that time (1923), the vessel participated in the transporting of grain on the Great Lakes. In 1926-1929, ownership was changed to S. Comis and the registration was changed to Italy. The name was also changed to "Carmela". The "Carmela" was dismantled in 1929 in Italy

    "North Star" 207011

    No full text
    The "North Star" was built in 1909 by the Great Lakes Engineering Works in Saint Clair, Michigan. The vessel was enrolled on April 9, 1910 at Detroit, Michigan. The "North Star" was 350.00 feet long and 46.00 feet wide. The first of four owners, Mutual Transit Company of Buffalo, New York, (1909-1916), sold the vessel to Great Lakes Transit Company in 1916. The vessel's tonnage was increased to 4011 gross tonnage in 1925 and the name was changed in 1928 to "H.A. Scandrett". The United States Maritime Commission (War Department, Washington, D.C.) purchased the vessel in 1942 and she was taken to the Gulf Coast via Mississippi River. The "H.A. Scandrett" was rebuilt by the Alabama Drydock and Shipbuilding Company in Mobile, Alabama during 1942-1943. This rebuild readied the vessel for ocean service. The final owner was A/B O/Y Merivienti who purchased the vessel in 1947 and was registered out of Finland. As part of this final purchase, A/B O/Y Merivienti renamed the vessel "Hamina". The "Hamina" was sold in October, 1954 for scrapping to Belgian shipbreakers. At that time the double bottom of the vessel was used as a mooring pontoon in Flushing Outer Harbor and in 1982 it was towed to Flushing Inner harbor and broken up

    "Panoil" 217637

    No full text
    The vessel, "Panoil" was built in 1920 by Alabama and New Orleans Transportation Company in Violet, Louisiana. The first of multiple name changes, "Panoil" was originally built for Mexican Petroleum Corporation. In 1925, the its name changed to "Crudoil". After a rebuild in 1944, the tonnage was increased from 1370 gross tons to 1429 gross tons. In addition to the extra tonnage, the name was again changed to "North Star" with the United States Maritime Commission owing the vessel. Although "North Star" was still registered as a United States vessel in 1944, ownership changed during that year. New owners and registration was listed as the United Kingdom with the Ministry of Transport (F.r. Everard and Sons, Lt. Mgrs.) owners. Once again the vessel experienced a rebuild with an increase in gross tonnage to 1538 gross tons. In 1946 Carlo Cornell purchased the vessel and listed Italy as the country of registration. With its final name change, "Cervara" was scrapped in Italy in 1954

    42

    full texts

    86,230

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    OhioLINK Digital Resource Commons
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇