Trinity Digital Collections (Trinity University, San Antonio)
Not a member yet
2728 research outputs found
Sort by
Murchison Tower
Dedicated on December 16, 1964, the T. Frank Murchison Memorial Tower rises to a height of 166 feet and is the focal center of the Trinity campus. The tower was a gift of Mr. Arch Underwood, a longtime friend of Murchison who served with him as a trustee of Trinity University. Architect O'Neil Ford designed it to be a landmark structure so that it would be visible from almost any approach to the city of San Antonio. The brick perimeter walls were laid first, then concrete with reinforcing steel was poured between them. The concrete was poured progressively as the structure moved upward. The Carolyn Calvert Bells atop the structure were cast by the John Taylor Company of London. The largest of the four bells weighs 1,000 pounds and the smallest 230 pounds
Murchison Tower
Dedicated on December 16, 1964, the T. Frank Murchison Memorial Tower rises to a height of 166 feet and is the focal center of the Trinity campus. The tower was a gift of Mr. Arch Underwood, a longtime friend of Murchison who served with him as a trustee of Trinity University. Architect O'Neil Ford designed it to be a landmark structure so that it would be visible from almost any approach to the city of San Antonio. The brick perimeter walls were laid first, then concrete with reinforcing steel was poured between them. The concrete was poured progressively as the structure moved upward. The Carolyn Calvert Bells atop the structure were cast by the John Taylor Company of London. The largest of the four bells weighs 1,000 pounds and the smallest 230 pounds
Bell Athletic Center
Named in memory of William H. Bell, late chairman of Trinity's Board of Trustee from 1984-87, the Bell Athletic Center, a three-story structure containing 185,000 square feet, opened in 1992. The building houses faculty and staff offices, the Hixon Natatorium, the Sams Gymnasium, and various classrooms and exercise facilities
Winn Residence Hall
Dedicated in 1962, this residence hall was named in memory of Carlton R. Winn, a Trinity graduate of the class of 1922
Thomas Residence Hall
Opened in the fall of 1965, the eight-story High Rise residence hall for undergraduate women was designed by architects O'Neil Ford and Bartlett Cocke. In 1974 Trinity trustees voted to rename High Rise in honor of Marion Bruce Thomas who served Trinity as Dean of the University from 1947-1975 and was interim president on two different occasions. Described as the academic architect of Trinity Hill, Thomas was a dynamic and inspiring teacher and administrator and a driving force behind the University's remarkable growth in academic stature
Beze Residence Hall
Dedicated April 2, 1977, Albert Herff-Beze Hall was named in memory of one of Trinity's most outstanding professors whose teaching career spanned almost forty years
Lightner Residence Hall
With funds raised during Trinity's $50 million Centennial Fund, two new residence halls for women opened in the fall of 1965: the six-story Camille Lightner Honor Residence Hall and High Rise Residence hall. Both were designed by architects O'Neil Ford and Bartlett Cocke. Lightner was the first building created for the express purpose of honoring scholarship achievement by Trinity women. Initially it housed senior and graduate women with outstanding academic records. Residents were not subject to the same sign in-sign out regulations that applied to other female resident students. The building was named in honor of Mrs. Camille Sams Lightner who was vice president of the Sams Foundation when the decision was made to provide funds for the Earls C. Sams Memorial Center [now the Sams Gymnasium in the Bell Center]