33584 research outputs found
Sort by
Vol Walker Library
Series of photos showing steps in checking out a book. Prints made 3-11-58 by Caldwell. On verso: Library 6. Going back up the steps to stack floor 4, and the loan desk.Vol Walker Hall, originally Vol Walker Memorial Library, was built in 1935 with funding from the Public Works Administration and was named to honor James Volney Walker. After construction of Mullins Library in 1968, Vol Walker Hall became an academic home to the architecture program. In 2013, an addition of the Steven L. Anderson Design Center and major renovation of the original building allowed the landscape architecture and interior design programs to join architecture in the building
Waterman Hall
Interior view of moot court room in Waterman Hall. On verso: 9-53. Moot Court Waterman Hall. Slide no. 69.14.Waterman Hall was dedicated in 1953 in memory of Julian S. Waterman. Waterman was an economics professor at the University of Arkansas from 1914-1922. He took time off from teaching to work on a law degree. After receiving his law degree from the University of Chicago, Waterman established the Law School at the U of A in 1924. He served as the first Dean of the Law School from 1926-1943. He also served as Vice President of the U of A from 1937-1943. Waterman Hall is now a part of the Leflar Law Center
Waterman Hall
View of rear (south) entrance of Waterman Hall taken from the southwest. Slide no. 71.16.Waterman Hall was dedicated in 1953 in memory of Julian S. Waterman. Waterman was an economics professor at the University of Arkansas from 1914-1922. He took time off from teaching to work on a law degree. After receiving his law degree from the University of Chicago, Waterman established the Law School at the U of A in 1924. He served as the first Dean of the Law School from 1926-1943. He also served as Vice President of the U of A from 1937-1943. Waterman Hall is now a part of the Leflar Law Center
Vol Walker Library
Series of photos showing steps in checking out a book. Prints made 3-11-58 by Caldwell. On verso: Library 8. Student assistant hands book to the borrower.Vol Walker Hall, originally Vol Walker Memorial Library, was built in 1935 with funding from the Public Works Administration and was named to honor James Volney Walker. After construction of Mullins Library in 1968, Vol Walker Hall became an academic home to the architecture program. In 2013, an addition of the Steven L. Anderson Design Center and major renovation of the original building allowed the landscape architecture and interior design programs to join architecture in the building
Museum
View of Dr. Moore seated beside shelves full of mounted plants. Attached description:" the herbarium under the direction of Dr. Dwight Moore, professor of botany "Old Main/University Hall was the first permanent building to be erected on the Arkansas Industrial University campus. Its exterior was finished in 1875, just three years after the university opened for classes. It is the oldest building still standing on the campus and the only one built in the 19th century still standing. Initially, it was simply referred to as “the University building,” but it was formally named University Hall in 1895. By the turn of the 20th century, the more sentimental name of Old Main had gained currency, and the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees officially changed the name to Old Main in 1991. At various times, Old Main housed the library, the museum, and the Armory. The University Museum has maintained a collection since 1873. The collection has grown steadily over the years and has been housed at different times in Old Main, Vol Walker, Hotz Hall, Faulkner Performing Arts Center, and the Museum Collections Facility
University Hall. Greenhouse
Interior view through greenhouse windows. On verso: Old Main (greenhouse). Greenhouse Dec. '54.Old Main/University Hall was the first permanent building to be erected on the Arkansas Industrial University campus. Its exterior was finished in 1875, just three years after the university opened for classes. It is the oldest building still standing on the campus and the only one built in the 19th century still standing. Initially, it was simply referred to as “the University building,” but it was formally named University Hall in 1895. By the turn of the 20th century, the more sentimental name of Old Main had gained currency, and the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees officially changed the name to Old Main in 1991. At various times, Old Main housed the library, the museum, and the Armory
University Hall
View of the west entrance of University Hall with a "closed" sign posted on the doors. On verso: [photo. Stamp]. Old Main closed for holiday to celebrate U of A beating Texas for 1st time in 13 years, Nov. 3, 1951. 11-'51 cover. On recto: [sign] Closed.Old Main/University Hall was the first permanent building to be erected on the Arkansas Industrial University campus. Its exterior was finished in 1875, just three years after the university opened for classes. It is the oldest building still standing on the campus and the only one built in the 19th century still standing. Initially, it was simply referred to as “the University building,” but it was formally named University Hall in 1895. By the turn of the 20th century, the more sentimental name of Old Main had gained currency, and the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees officially changed the name to Old Main in 1991. At various times, Old Main housed the library, the museum, and the Armory
Campus Views
Winter view of students walking on snow-covered ground and sidewalks to the east of University Hall.Winter scenes
U of A Entrances; University of Arkansas Entrances
View of south pillar and stairs of east entrance to U of A campus on Arkansas Avenue. On verso: [engr. instr.] entrance to Senior Walk. Page 77. Caption: A walk down the most famous walk, "The Senior Walk.
Carlson Terrace
View of children playing around buildings of Carlson Terraces.Carlson Terrace was designed by architect Edward Durell Stone. Phases one and two of construction were completed in 1958 and 1960, respectively. Phase three was completed in 1964 under the design services of Ehrhart, Eichenbaum, Rauch and Blass Architects of Little Rock. Carlson Terrace was closed in 2007 due to costs associated with infrastructure repairs