Springfield College Digital Collections
Not a member yet
    18778 research outputs found

    Finding Aid: RG 136 Laurence L. Doggett Memorial President’s Home Records

    No full text
    This collection documents the Doggett Memorial President’s House. Included in the collection are copies of floor plans, funding and planning materials, various materials from the laying of the cornerstone and dedication ceremonies, and exterior pictures from the time the house was built till right before its destruction. These include some photos of the time that the building was used as the Admission center for Springfield College. Of particular note are the funding and planning documents which include the original meeting minutes from the planning committee, information on donors, including letters of intent, and general correspondence. Materials from the cornerstone and dedication ceremonies include newspaper articles, some pictures, programs and some correspondence.Laurence L. Doggett Memorial, the President’s residence and Springfield College’s own White House, was completed on September 1, 1958. The two-story, 10-room, colonial-style home was located on the lake side of Alden Street, east of the Field House. The $55,000 project was designed to serve the needs of the college as well as the needs of the current president and his family. The building was named after Dr. Laurence Locke Doggett, a former president at Springfield College. The house was the family home to Olds, Locklin, and Falcone during their presidencies. Doggett was Springfield’s first full-time president. He was elected in 1896 and remained president for 40 years until he retired in 1936. During his tenure the college grew tremendously, from the time it was a training school with 50 students and eight teachers until it had an enrollment of 535 students and 50 faculty members. Through the institution’s connection with the Young Men’s Christian Association, Doggett became a world leader of the YMCA. Doggett passed away on November 14, 1957 at the age of 92. His imprint on Springfield College and the community was that of a builder. He was universally respected and widely loved, and for that his life serves as an admirable monument shown through the building and dedication of Doggett Memorial. The cornerstone laying ceremony was held on Saturday, June 14, 1958 at 2 pm. Sealed within the cornerstone was a metal box full of memorabilia of Dr. Doggett’s long career. The ceremony was led by Mrs. Laurence Doggett, widow of the successful former president. Commencement ceremonies were held the following day, June 15, 1958 at 2:30 pm in the Memorial Field House. On Wednesday, September 30, 1959 a formal Service of Dedication of the Laurence L. Doggett Memorial was held. The highlight of the dedication was a speech by Mrs. Doggett titled, “The Life He Shared.” Doggett Memorial was first occupied by the family of Dr. Glenn A. Olds who took over the presidency of the college on July 1, 1958. Wesley F. Rennke was the interim president who came out of retirement in the fall of 1957 following the resignation of Dr. Donald Stone. During the 1990’s Doggett Memorial was no longer used as the president’s house, but was instead used as the college’s Admissions Office. The Board of Trustees believed that Springfield College was the type of institution in which the president ought to live on campus, as was true when Doggett Memorial was originally built. This would provide a living space for President Flynn and his family and future presidents, as well as additional space for presidential meetings and entertainment. Despite the fact that the Admissions Office moved to the space that was vacated by Social Work located on Middlesex Avenue, Doggett Memorial began showing its age. The prospective costs of renovating the building were not in the College’s favor. Instead, in March 2002 Doggett Memorial was demolished to make way for construction of a new President’s residence. The new house was a beauty. A large portion of the inside was given over to public space, which included a dining room for entertaining, two reception rooms for larger gatherings, and a bedroom suite for special guests of the College. On April 1, 2003, President Richard B. Flynn and his wife Jani Flynn moved from their home in East Longmeadow into the new President’s House. The public space is used today to host annual ice cream socials for new students as well as receptions for graduating students. It is also used for faculty senate dinners, Board of Trustee events, a variety of alumni activities, student leader receptions, and many other events

    Finding Aid: RG 140 - Schoo-Bemis Science Center Records

    No full text
    This collection documents the Schoo-Bemis Science Center from its construction and original name of the Clarence and Grace Schoo Friendship Hall, to its 2006-2007 renovations and change in name to the Schoo-Bemis Science Center. Included in the collection is biographical information on Clarence and Grace Schoo; copies of floor plans, including draft blueprints & 3 architectural sketches (sketches include outside, a lab and an announcement for a June 11, 2005 Project Preview presentation) from the renovations done in 2006-2007 renovations; invitation and pictures from the October 23, dedication; programs and a DVD from the joint dedication of Hickory Hall and the Schoo-Bemis Science Center held in 2007 for renovations and renaming of the buildings; Architectural sketches done by Munson and Mallis in 1960 and a large sketch done by Tai Soo Kim in the mid 1990’s of proposed designs of the building; and exterior photographs. Also included is the Clarence and Grace Schoo Friendship Hall dedication Plaque. Plaque measures 36” x 24” High. Made of Bronze, the plaque says, “Clarence and Grace Schoo Friendship Hall / “For the education of the whole man in the service of all men” / This building made possible by the generous gift of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence J. Schoo / Consummating gifts from Alumni, Trustees, Corporations, Foundations, and Friends of Springfield College / Dedicated, October 26, 1963.”By 1959, under the leadership of Springfield College president Glen Olds, a new science building became the top priority of the campus building program. Estimated cost of the building was put at 350,000to350,000 to 400,000. Architectural plans proposed laboratories and demonstration classrooms for chemistry and physics. Additional normal classrooms and offices completed the plans. Funding for the new facility was provided in large part by Clarence J. Schoo, founder of General Fibre Box Co. of West Springfield. Construction began in early fall of 1960 and was completed in September of 1961. The building was the largest single construction project at Springfield College in recent history. Monson & Mallis Architects of Springfield designed the facility. A. R. Green Contractors of Holyoke was the General Contractor of the projects. Though the building was in continued use since it was completed in September of 1961, it actually was not formally dedicated until October 26, 1963 as the Clarence and Grace Schoo Friendship Hall. Under the leadership of President Flynn, “Leadership for the 21st Century: the $40 million campaign for Springfield College was launched in the spring of 2005. It is through this campaign that the money was raised for the 5 million dollar renovation that in a way combined old Bemis Hall, now Hickory Hall, with Schoo Hall, creating a modern, state-of-the-art Science Center housing the disciplines of Math, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Renovations started in May of 2006 and were completed in January of 2007 when the building, now named the Schoo-Bemis Science Center, was opened to students. An official dedication was conducted on September 26, 2007. Note: for more information on Bemis Hall, now Hickory Hall, see RG125 – Hickory Hall Records Written by Sheila Thompson, 201

    Springfield College Undergraduate Commencement Program (2012)

    No full text
    A program for the one hundred and twenty sixth undergraduate commencement ceremonies of Springfield College held in 2012. This pamphlet starts with a description of the commencement exercises, including songs, prayers, commencement address, conferring of degrees, the Honorary Degree candidates, to then finish with a list of the members of the graduating class. Timothy L. Murphy (class of 1978) gave the commencement address. Honorary degrees were conferred to Timothy L. Murphy and Sally M. Griggs

    Harold Smith Speaking at Ceremony (May 18, 2012)

    No full text
    This photograph shows Harold C. Smith, a member of the Springfield College Board of Trustees, speaking at the Harold C. Smith Room dedication ceremony on May 18, 2012 at 4 p.m. at the Stitzer Y.M.C.A. In the photograph, Smith is wearing a pair of glasses and a suit and tie with a boutonnière. He is speaking in front of a microphone.The Harold C. Smith Room, formerly known as the Y.M.C.A. Multipurpose Room, is named after the College’s longtime trustee and Y.M.C.A. visionary. Many prominent leaders from both the Y.M.C.A. and the College attended the event. The history of the Harold C. Smith Room dates back to the late 19th century – James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, played his sport here, and William Morgan demonstrated his new game of volleyball here. The room signifies the collaborative programming between Springfield College and the Y.M.C.A. After President Flynn and Smith unveiled the plaque that will be placed in the room, Smith spoke about his commitment to Springfield College. For more information on Harold C. Smith, see https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/agents/people/834.Photograph is preserved inside The Harold C. Smith Room DEDICATION CEREMONY photo album

    The Triangle, Winter 2012 (Vol. 83, No. 2)

    No full text
    Springfield College’s alumni magazine is currently called The Triangle, a reference to the school’s emblem: an inverted red triangle representing the spirit, mind, and body. The magazine began at roughly twenty pages and in three years doubled in size. As with its previous formats, the magazine covers college news, including faculty research and school development projects. However, its primary purpose is to provide a forum for alumni to comment, and much of the magazine is dedicated to alumni achievements and class notes

    The Springfield Student (vol. 126, no. 22) Apr. 12, 2012

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    The Springfield Student (vol. 127, no. 9) Nov. 8, 2012

    No full text
    “The Springfield Student” was first published in 1909 in the Association Seminar, an alumni publication. The portion published in the Association Seminar has been digitized and can be seen in The Springfield College Alumni Magazine Collection (http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16122coll3/searchterm/The%20Springfield%20Student/field/spring/mode/all/conn/and/order/date). Generally, “The Springfield Student” includes information about student organizations, athletics, alumni, and events. It also occasionally includes student poetry and fiction, as well as the conclusions of student-designed research. As the publication evolved, “The Springfield Student” began including editorials on world events and popular culture, as well as letters to the editor. Originally, the “Springfield Student” was published monthly from October through June, and its formatting resembled a magazine. In October 1913, the cover illustration simplified to only the title, the date, and the capital letter “S,” but the content and structure remained unchanged. On September 27, 1916, “The Springfield Student” was reformatted to resemble a newspaper: the pages decreased from around thirty to just four, it no longer included a cover, and it became a weekly publication. In the inaugural weekly issue, the editors explained the motivation behind the change: “To sustain the intimate and helpful relations that our Alumni and College should stress we feel that a weekly news publication is the best possible medium. [...] It is the purpose of the Staff to cover all College and Student Association activities in a very live way, reporting athletic contests in brief snappy articles, and giving members of the Alumni Associations space for contributions and newsy items.” During October 1917, in acknowledgement of the limited resources and significantly smaller student body caused by the United States’ involvement in World War I, the “The Springfield Student” ceased its weekly publication and instead published a few pages each month in the “The Association Seminar.” Two years later, October 1919, “The Springfield Student” resumed weekly publication. In this first issue, the editors wrote that they wanted to re-establish the newspaper “as the mouthpiece or spokesman of the student body.

    Finding Aid: RG 129 - Locklin Hall Records

    No full text
    At this time there is not a lot of information contained in the Locklin Hall Records collection. There is some information about the building as well as some meeting notes from Public Affairs Commission about the naming of the Physiological Research Laboratory to be placed in Locklin and that the new laboratory should be named the Peter V. Karpovich Biokinetics Laboratory (Note: it is not known whether these proposals were ever acted upon as it does not say in these documents). There are undated copies of original floor plans or blueprints and photographs of the exterior of the building believed to be taken from the late 1970’s or early 1980’s through about 2001.For Springfield College, the history of Locklin Hall begins in 1966 when Howard J. Cadwell, Western Mass Electric Chairman, and Wilbert E. Locklin, president of Springfield College, announced that Springfield College had acquired 5.3 acres of property from the Western Massachusetts Electric Company. The land contained 5 buildings at the time of the purchase, including what is now the Towne Student Health Center. The largest building obtained was located on the northwest corner of Alden Street and Wilbraham Avenue, or 210 Alden Street. At this point, the exact date that the building was built is unknown, though it was there before the construction of Weiser began in 1921. An investment of 192,000allowedthebuildingtobemadeintoanefficientacademicresource,withthefirstfloorbecomingasiteforclassrooms,facultyoffices,andlecturehalls.Until1985,LocklinwasoftencalledtheAcademicBuilding,theMaroonBuilding,andsometimesjust210AldenStreet.Thoughnotknownforsure,accordingtodocumentsinthiscollectionLocklinmayhavehoused,forashorttime,thePhysiologicalResearchLaboratory.In1968,arequestwasmadetonamethePhysiologicalResearchLaboratorythePeterV.KarpovichBiokineticsLaboratory,onceitwasmovedtotheMaroonBuilding.In1969,therequestofnamingwasapprovedbythePublicAffairsCommissionandwasforwardedtotheCollegeCouncilforaction.FurtherresearchneedstobeconductedtodetermineifthelaboratoryeverresidedinLocklin.ThebuildingwasneverfullyrenovatedwhenacquiredfromWesternMassElectric,andinitialrenovationscontinuedonthroughthesummerof1970.Furtherrenovationsoccurredin1984.ThroughacombinationofP.P.Dsbudgetanda192,000 allowed the building to be made into an efficient academic resource, with the first floor becoming a site for classrooms, faculty offices, and lecture halls. Until 1985, Locklin was often called the Academic Building, the Maroon Building, and sometimes just 210 Alden Street. Though not known for sure, according to documents in this collection Locklin may have housed, for a short time, the Physiological Research Laboratory. In 1968, a request was made to name the Physiological Research Laboratory the “Peter V. Karpovich Biokinetics Laboratory,” once it was moved to the Maroon Building. In 1969, the request of naming was approved by the Public Affairs Commission and was forwarded to the College Council for action. Further research needs to be conducted to determine if the laboratory ever resided in Locklin. The building was never fully renovated when acquired from Western Mass Electric, and initial renovations continued on through the summer of 1970. Further renovations occurred in 1984. Through a combination of P.P.D’s budget and a 10,000 grant from ARCO, renovations were made to the business department on the second floor of the Maroon Building. Six new classrooms were added, along with an office for each professor and a secretarial room for student aids to work in. The rehabilitated building also included six new offices, a seminar room, secretarial space and a small taping room. It was shortly after these renovations, during the summer of 1985, that the building was finally renamed from the Maroon Building to Locklin Hall in honor of Wilbert E. Locklin, the ninth president of Springfield College, who was retiring after 20 years of leading the college. During the summer of 2013, Locklin Hall was renovated yet again, though as in the past, only portions of the building were addressed. The renovations included the moving and widening of the stairwells, the addition of a Starbucks coffee shop, and the restoration of the classrooms and offices, in particular the office and classroom spaces of the Business and Management departments on the second floor. Researched and written by Elise White, 201

    Finding Aid: RG 125 - Hickory Hall Records

    No full text
    This collection documents the Hickory Hall from its construction and original name of the William C. Bemis Hall, to its 2006-2007 renovations and change in name to Hickory Hall. Included in the collection are copies of floor plans, including draft blueprints from the renovations done in 2006-2007 renovations; newspaper articles and Springfield College news releases from its construction and opening; funding and planning materials: various materials from the dedication held in 1975, including programs, news releases, schedules, invitation lists, seating arrangements from the dinner, and an audio tape and pictures from the ceremonies; programs and a DVD (actually contained in the RG140 Schoo-Bemis Science Center Records) from the joint dedication of Hickory Hall and the Schoo-Bemis Science Center held in 2007 for renovations and renaming of the buildings; and there are also interior and exterior pictures of the building. Of particular interest are the interior photographs which show how the interior of the building looked and was used before the renovations of 2007. Information on the funding, initial construction, and early use of Hickory hall, then Bemis Hall, is also of great interest. Most of these materials are actually located in the Arts and Sciences Professional Studies Records on the Biology Department and faculty member Joel Cohen Papers collection.In 1974 the final item to be funded by the Springfield College 7.3 million dollar Capital Campaign was Bemis Hall, located adjacent to Schoo Hall, now the Schoo-Bemis Science Center. Capital Campaign funds were used to match a 300,000donationmadebyMrs.WilliamC.Bemis,DorothyBemis.Mrs.Bemisgavethemoneyinmemoryofherhusband,presidentofFiberloidCo.ofSpringfieldandinhonorofhersons.Thetotalcostwasaround300,000 donation made by Mrs. William C. Bemis, Dorothy Bemis. Mrs. Bemis gave the money in memory of her husband, president of Fiberloid Co. of Springfield and in honor of her sons. The total cost was around 600,000. The new building was to be used as a life sciences building. It was designed by Alfred Casella of Agawam and Ley Construction Co. of Enfield, Ct. was the general contractor. Construction began in April, 1974 and was opened to full use in April of 1975. President Wilbert Locklin commented on the unique circular structure, “We’ve made a concerted effort to make this facility as innovative and flexible as possible.” Some of these innovative features included, moveable walls in lab areas, “dustless” marker boards, an interior ramp allowing handicapped access, faculty offices designed to accommodate seminar groups, and laboratories designed for specific areas of interest such as microscopy, physiology, plant biology, microbiology and genetics. Bemis Hall Biology Complex was dedicated on May 7, 1975. Art Linkletter was the quest speaker and Mrs. Bemis and family members were among the quests. Walking into the new science building, which was dedicated to life, was a central area deemed the “Hall of Life” or “Life Court.” It was surrounded by a circular ramp that leads from the first to second floors and was handicap accessible. In the Hall of Life was a dramatic 18-foot poured concrete sculpture-fountain that represented the life-defining DNA molecule. The pool at the fountain’s base displayed the astrological emblems of male and female, the shield of Mars overlaying the mirror of Venus. Display space for educational exhibits covered the walls around the ramp. The Life Court was covered with a translucent dome to allow natural light to illuminate the court. Under the leadership of President Flynn, “Leadership for the 21st Century: the $40 million campaign for Springfield College was launched in the spring of 2005. It is through this campaign that the money was raised for a complete renovation of Bemis Hall. The new design focused on creating technology enhanced classrooms, with the 17,000 sq. ft. building containing an 80 seat semi-circular lecture hall, seven classrooms, the office of the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies and the Academic Success Center. The newly renovated Hall was dedicated on September 27, 2007 along with the Schoo-Bemis Science Center renovated at the same time. The Bemis name, it was decided should go with the Science laboratories and the science focus that were moved to the new state-of-the-art science center. Interestingly enough, Hickory Hall is actually a place holder name, being the name of the street that used to pass through the center of campus. Note: for more information on Schoo Hall, now Schoo-Bemis Science Center, see RG 140 – Schoo-Bemis Science Center Records Written by Sheila Thompson, 201

    Finding Aid: RG 135 Physical Education Complex Records

    No full text
    The Physical Education Complex Records collection documents the planning, construction and use of the Physical Education Complex at Springfield College. Included in the collection are reports, memos, correspondence, notes, newspaper articles, pamphlets, photographs, slides, audio tapes and video footage. Of particular importance are documents and photographs on the capitol campaign that gathered the funds for the construction of the Physical Education Complex, including the 500,000PrestleyBlakeChallengeGrantandthe500,000 Prestley Blake Challenge Grant and the 500,000 Charles A. Dana Foundation Challenge Grant; multimedia documents on the dedication ceremonies, both at the original opening of the complex and later at naming ceremonies for Naismith Court in Blake Arena and the Douglas Parker Wrestling room; and photographs from the construction of the PE Complex, in particular Blake Arena, and of the exterior and interior of the complex. Also of importance are documents and reports on the planning of the Physical Education Complex held in Series 2. The documents stretch all the way back to 1965 and go through the final plans developed in 1979. These documents include reports and meeting minutes drawn up by the many different planning or task force committees and plans submitted by architects.The Physical Education Complex at Springfield College was built to replace the Memorial Field House, which was demolished in May, 1979. Originally, a 50,000 square-foot addition was going to be built onto the Memorial Field House. However, there were “serious structural deficiencies” with the building and it was closed on May 10, 1979. The college immediately established a Task Force, and within five months the plans for a new facility were finalized. The general contract was awarded on January 16, 1980. The architect of the new building was Alfred P. Casella of Agawam, Massachusetts and the general contractor was D.A. Sullivan Sons of Northampton, Massachusetts. On February 11, 1980, the Groundbreaking of the Physical Education (PE) Complex took place. During the Groundbreaking ceremony, five members of the Springfield College track team participated in a relay race from City Hall to the campus construction site, each running a half-mile and literally “racing against time” to deliver the baton which contained the building permit for the college’s new 5.3millionPhysicalEducationComplex.TheDedicationCeremonytookplacethefollowingyear,onOctober30,1981andwasthefeatureoftheannualfallHomecomingfestivitiesatSpringfieldCollege.Morethan2,200peopleattendedtheevent.ThededicationconsistedoftheSpringfieldShowcase,inwhich120studentsincludinggymnasts,dancers,andmusicians,performedinBlakeArena.Atthetime,thefacilitywasthelargestconstructionprojectinthecollegeshistory.ThePEComplexconsistedoffourdistinctfacilities;theArtLinkletterNatatorium,BlakeArena,theWinstonPaulAcademicCenterincludingtwoteachinggymnasiums(DanaGymnasiumandKresgeGymnasium),awrestlingroom(DouglasParkerWrestlingRoom),andeighthandball/racquetballcourts),andtheKeithLockerandTrainingFacility.TheArtLinkletterNatatorium,whichoriginallyopenedin1967,wasconnectedtotheotherstructuresbya95footskywalk.ThetotalcombinedspaceofthePEComplexwas143,000squarefeet.The5.3 million Physical Education Complex. The Dedication Ceremony took place the following year, on October 30, 1981 and was the feature of the annual fall Homecoming festivities at Springfield College. More than 2,200 people attended the event. The dedication consisted of the “Springfield Showcase,” in which 120 students including gymnasts, dancers, and musicians, performed in Blake Arena. At the time, the facility was the largest construction project in the college’s history. The PE Complex consisted of four distinct facilities; the Art Linkletter Natatorium, Blake Arena, the Winston Paul Academic Center including two teaching gymnasiums (Dana Gymnasium and Kresge Gymnasium), a wrestling room (Douglas Parker Wrestling Room), and eight handball/ racquetball courts), and the Keith Locker and Training Facility. The Art Linkletter Natatorium, which originally opened in 1967, was connected to the other structures by a 95-foot “skywalk.” The total combined space of the PE Complex was 143,000 square feet. The 5.3 million building was funded by the Capital Campaign headed by Art Linkletter. Major contributors were S. Prestley Blake, co-founder of Friendly Ice Cream Corporation (500,000),Mr.WinstonPaul,alongtimeTrusteeandNationalYMCAleader(500,000), Mr. Winston Paul, a long-time Trustee and National YMCA leader (1 million), the Insurance Company of North America (1million),andTheDanaFoundationofGreenwichConn.(1 million), and The Dana Foundation of Greenwich Conn. (500,000). The PE Complex was primarily an educational facility where students took classes in Physical Education, Sports Medicine, and Health Fitness in order to prepare them for “human helping professions,” such as YMCA executives, athletic trainers, and coaches. The main complex featured two separate, yet interrelated structures: the massive three-story dome, better known as Blake Arena, is 180 feet in diameter and 44 feet above the playing surface, and the more conventional Winston Paul Academic 12,000 square foot gymnasia facility. Blake Arena was constructed with two regulation-sized basketball courts and roll-out bleachers that seated more than 2,000 spectators. It is the main level of the three-leveled domed center. It serves as the main basketball and volleyball court at Springfield College and is also used for gymnastics, wrestling, classes, lectures, shows, and other activities. The lower level contains the equipment room, several classrooms, as well as locker rooms and showers for the complex. It also used to house the faculty offices, though most of these have been moved to the main level, and a weight room, which is now part of the Wellness Center that was constructed next to the PE Complex and opened in September 2008. Above the main level/ basketball court is a mezzanine with a three-lane jogging track. Ten laps around the track equal a mile. As mentioned above, the new Wellness and Recreation Complex was opened in 2008 and now encompasses the PE Complex. The Wellness and Recreation Complex includes the Wellness Center, Field House, Athletic Training/ Exercise Science facility (over 160,560 square feet of instructional, athletic, and recreational space) adjoining the Physical Education Complex and the Art Linkletter Natatorium. The Art Linkletter Natatorium, with a graceful steel arch roof and an Olympic-sized pool, had been a part of the college since its official dedication on October 21, 1967. At the time of its construction, the new building was located right next to the Memorial Field House. Today, it is incorporated into the physical structure of the Wellness and Recreation Complex. Written and prepared by Nicole DeCristoforo, Fall 201

    0

    full texts

    18,778

    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Springfield College Digital Collections
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇